LaunchBox Community Forums

Where should I report bugs?

klepp0906

Same question for feature requests - although thats not important atm.

So as is probably obvious based on my post count - im a new user.  Ive been adding as much as I can to my launchbox as quick as I can, but i run across items with artwork problems and if it irks me enough, i address it then and there. (attempt to anyhow)

So far, pretty much every time - ive been unable to add artwork or unable to add it without jumping through significant hoops.

Let me give you the current example that just put me here.   (and what im attempting to report, as well as finding out where to report things in the future)

I have a game that is displaying european artwork.  I right click > edit> right click > add image and navigate to the american artwork.  After selection, it displays in the Edit Game window. 

I select it, and click ok.   The artwork on the entry stays unchanged.   I refresh, the result is the same.  Artwork still displaying euro.   

I right click > edit and look, and the artwork i added, seems to have disappeared.   Simply not in the list anymore.   Now if i use windows explorer to navigate to Images > platform > box - front I can see the image i added in the root of that directory.   However it seems the image the entry is using, is coming from the sub directory "North America"

I'm unsure if this is a user error thing, a launchbox shortcoming thing, or a bug.   For some reason its either not placing the artwork in the folder needed to associate with the entry, or its not applying it properly irrespective of folder it gets placed in when added.

This has happened a dozen times already.

fortunately I have about 2 dozen more platforms to add so its not a huge deal to me, yet :P lol.

Edited by klepp0906

worth mentioning my default is set to display boxart - front.  

This only happens if a boxart - front is present already.   A game that was lacking a boxart - front and displaying the fallback 3d box, I was able to successfully add an image without trouble (a cover that displayed instantly as boxart - front)

19 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

What region did you prioritize in Launchbox? Also does the region field for the game have a listing?

Normally if that field is populated for a game it defines the region artwork used and if not populated Launchbox will use the region you prioritized. 

yes, region in the game details lists as North America.

when i added the artwork, it did not go to the north america folder where the currently displayed artwork is located (the euro art)

I left the priority as default which i believe was North America > United States in that order and as the only two checked

Im partially not following I dont think or misunderstanding how add image in this case is supposed to function.   One would "think" that irrespective of how you have your priority set, if you manually add an image through the GUI, it should show up in the list under Edit Game to be scrolled through.

its certainly "in" the launchbox folder.  I have a half dozen copies of it from trying to get it to function over and over lol

manually added images should be added to whatever the priority folder is/default folder/folder associated with the game is in order to show up, after all thats why your adding them.  Otherwise the option/feature loses a ton of its functionality if you have to go into explorer and move it manually anyways.  (assuming thats what your getting at)   Unless thats what its supposed to do and its not.

no idea, hence my being here :)  Ty for the reply btw.   

Edited by klepp0906

15 minutes ago, klepp0906 said:

yes, region in the game details lists as North America.

when i added the artwork, it did not go to the north america folder where the currently displayed artwork is located (the euro art)

I left the priority as default which i believe was North America > United States in that order and as the only two checked

Well if you have the Euro art located in the North American folder and your region priority is North American that is part of your issue. You need to remove it or Launchbox thinks it is North American art. When you add an image from the edit box it will usually add it to the main image folder not the subfolder. It does not know if you want it to be European, North American or what ever region. I do not think the prioritization was built to determine that when you are adding an image from the edit screen.  

Ok, so its a limitation of the software then.   I need to add a feature request pronto as I see a lot of images that will need fixing and it will be made into an un necessarily long job with the way it functions at current.

The euro artwork is what was scraped by launchbox and designated as North american.  Probably all that was available, which is fine, and certainly preferable to a blank icon - but if you add something, it shouldnt need to know the region - it should apply to the game entry you added it for.  So essentially the current default from the sounds of things (north american).

thanks for explaining it even if it sound slike theres nothing I can do about it at the moment.

I did find the bitbucket so I'll put in a feature request there and hope its considered at some point prior to me reaching the "refining" stage of my launchbox preparation :P

yeah I'd just like you to keep you expectations of things you request being added realistic as there is already a huge to do list and sometime what you feel is a priority may not be what other but mostly important what Jason sees as a priority. I've waited years to see things added in the past.

14 minutes ago, klepp0906 said:

Ok, so its a limitation of the software then.   I need to add a feature request pronto as I see a lot of images that will need fixing and it will be made into an un necessarily long job with the way it functions at current.

The euro artwork is what was scraped by launchbox and designated as North american.  Probably all that was available, which is fine, and certainly preferable to a blank icon - but if you add something, it shouldnt need to know the region - it should apply to the game entry you added it for.  So essentially the current default from the sounds of things (north american).

thanks for explaining it even if it sound slike theres nothing I can do about it at the moment.

I did find the bitbucket so I'll put in a feature request there and hope its considered at some point prior to me reaching the "refining" stage of my launchbox preparation :P

Definitely add a feature request if you feel it is needed. It does not hurt to make a request.  

14 minutes ago, klepp0906 said:

Probably all that was available, which is fine, and certainly preferable to a blank icon - but if you add something, it shouldnt need to know the region - it should apply to the game entry you added it for.  So essentially the current default from the sounds of things (north american).

It did add it though as you stated and it does not know the region which is why it puts it in the root folder. The problem is you have a region specification and an artwork in that region folder so Launchbox is doing what you have set it to do. If you delete that image from that folder and refresh I am sure it will now show the image in the root folder. 

12 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

yeah I'd just like you to keep you expectations of things you request being added realistic as there is already a huge to do list and sometime what you feel is a priority may not be what other but mostly important what Jason sees as a priority. I've waited years to see things added in the past.

yea of course.   I wouldnt expect anything to be prioritized unless it was catastrophic, much less in any timeframe other than what the person doing the work designates.   That being said - id imagine ease of image importation is pretty high up there in the list of features central to the software.

11 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Definitely add a feature request if you feel it is needed. It does not hurt to make a request.  

It did add it though as you stated and it does not know the region which is why it puts it in the root folder. The problem is you have a region specification and an artwork in that region folder so Launchbox is doing what you have set it to do. If you delete that image from that folder and refresh I am sure it will now show the image in the root folder. 

yes,  i was thinking this as well.  However what happens when you want multiple boxart - fronts to show up for example.  So you can pick which one you want to use.   Id imagine the more ideal behavior would be you edit > add, select your image and give it a designation.  And it places it alongside whatever the current association for said entry is.   

at a glance, i think when multiple entries do exist, it just gives them a 01-02 etc, so unless im missing something, this would be the lesser of the evils/preferable/increase ease of use substantially.

as it sits, without spending time on it, GBA has at least 10% euro artwork.  For me to fix that I now have to import each and every one via the GUI (so it names it properly) then move said entries again from the folder theyre placed, to the proper folder.

fortunately in these cases, the current artwork is european so deleting them isnt an issue other than the fact i now not only have to import for each, but delete for each as well.

the problem then would come if you did a refresh/update metadata/media.  I imagine it would re-pull the incorrect art, and potentially muck up your entries again.

in all fairness, i am brand new to launchbox - so that may not be the case.   

in the end, im just trying to completely suss out whats what with features and limitations and inner workings.  Im super thorough to a fault with my emulation setups so i already spend far too much time getting it "right" to not know how things that could potentially cost me time if i mess up, work or function.

Presently the results from the recent poll are the top prioritized items to be worked on (assuming nothing breaks and needs to be triaged to the forefront). Only a few items from the poll have been working on as of yet most likely they will be what is worked on for the immediate future.