LaunchBox Community Forums

Hyperspin equivalent theme?

jfree427

Hello - I've spent countless hours configuring Hyperspin (like many).  I have my MAME cab configured exactly the way I like it with HS.  However, I wanted to give Launchbox/Big Box a shot for a few reasons.

1) HS is not actively being developed any longer

2) WIth HS, I frequently hit some bugs that frustrate me and crash my front end or force me to reboot my PC.

I bit the bullet and bought BigBox.  (I really wish there was a BB trial.)   I really like the game logos for wheel scrolling and the full screen game themes that I have with HyperSpin.  Currently with the Unified Redux and others, the individual game video themes show inside a smaller box.  The game titles show with text instead of the clear logos even though I have the PNG files downloaded.  I'm also not a fan of box art or marquees (just my preference) so I can live without those.

Basically I'm looking to recreate the HS look and feel but take advantage of the BigBox active community, updates and easy config.

I really do like the product, I'm just seeking a really simple setup.  

Any help is much appreciated!

BigBox

image.thumb.png.602af1c05fc36b820cda3d74fd4283f5.pngHyperspin 

image.thumb.png.64d41430a10a821a3d02296e23b9a1f6.png

5 minutes ago, jfree427 said:

Hello - I've spent countless hours configuring Hyperspin (like many).  I have my MAME cab configured exactly the way I like it with HS.  However, I wanted to give Launchbox/Big Box a shot for a few reasons.

1) HS is not actively being developed any longer

2) WIth HS, I frequently hit some bugs that frustrate me and crash my front end or force me to reboot my PC.

I bit the bullet and bought BigBox.  (I really wish there was a BB trial.)   I really like the game logos for wheel scrolling and the full screen game themes that I have with HyperSpin.  Currently with the Unified Redux and others, the individual game video themes show inside a smaller box.  The game titles show with text instead of the clear logos even though I have the PNG files downloaded.  I'm also not a fan of box art or marquees (just my preference) so I can live without those.

Basically I'm looking to recreate the HS look and feel but take advantage of the BigBox active community, updates and easy config.

I really do like the product, I'm just seeking a really simple setup.  

Any help is much appreciated!

BigBox

image.thumb.png.602af1c05fc36b820cda3d74fd4283f5.pngHyperspin 

image.thumb.png.64d41430a10a821a3d02296e23b9a1f6.png

You need to switch the views, all themes have more than one view. You can change it in the settings, or set a button and switch on the fly.

Ok, so I was able to alter the view to get the same wheel (thanks!) 

By selecting "use background video" I am able to get a full screen version of the game themes.  However, they are faded since they are being used as a background.  Is there anyway to make avoid them being shown as a background (and faded)?

1 hour ago, jfree427 said:

Ok, so I was able to alter the view to get the same wheel (thanks!) 

By selecting "use background video" I am able to get a full screen version of the game themes.  However, they are faded since they are being used as a background.  Is there anyway to make avoid them being shown as a background (and faded)?

Vertical Wheel 4 view in Unified and Unified Redux should give you full screen video without needing to select "Use background video". That is the view I use with Redux and I do not have that check box ticked. 

There is a background fade option at the bottom of the view settings you can try setting that to 100 if it is not. I have it set to 35% and still using the Vert Wheel 4 it does not affect that view since that view is for full screen. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 9.40.02 PM.png

• Like 1

Just now, jfree427 said:

YESSSSS! That is what I was looking for.  Thanks for your help.  Another noob question.  How can I bypass the "Play Game" sub menu?  When I click a game on the wheel I want it to automatically play.

Settings under Options>General then check the box for Skip Game Details Screen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

Settings under Options>General then check the box for Skip Game Details Screen.

That worked as well!  Is there a way to override the game theme sounds?  Example, in hyperspin I had some mp3 files that played.  "I wish" By Skee Lo plays when I select NBA Jam (as example).  I tried putting the sound files in Music\<Platform> to no avail.

Thanks for the help again!