LaunchBox Community Forums

Game matching, search query?

e2zippo

Hey! Enjoying LB and BB big time! But a few times when adding new PC games I get confused as to how the search algorithm works in LB. 

So right now I'm trying to add Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair for Windows and no matter what kind of search I do, I can't find the game!

I know it exists in the database since I added it myself.

https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/121309

I've tried searching for just Yooka-Laylee, but that just displays the first game in the series, wrong game.

I've tried "impossible lair" but that just displays the Switch version.

No matter what I search on I cannot find the Windows version.

Maybe I'm just used to google searches, but it feels like the search function is pretty limited.

Database is up to date as of 10 minutes ago, a day after I added the game.

@Jason Carr Am I missing something regarding the search function to match a game? 

Is is possible to do a manual match using the ID found in the database?

Thanks!

yooka-laylee.png

impossible lair.png

Edited by e2zippo

4 minutes ago, e2zippo said:

Hey! Enjoying LB and BB big time! But a few times when adding new PC games I get confused as to how the search algorithm works in LB. 

So right now I'm trying to add Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair for Windows and no matter what kind of search I do, I can't find the game!

I know it exists in the database since I added it myself.

https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/121309

I've tried searching for just Yooka-Laylee, but that just displays the first game in the series, wrong game.

I've tried "impossible lair" but that just displays the Switch version.

No matter what I search on I cannot find the Windows version.

Maybe I'm just used to google searches, but it feels like the search function is pretty limited.

Database is up to date as of 10 minutes ago, a day after I added the game.

@Jason Carr Am I missing something regarding the search function to match a game? 

Is is possible to do a manual match using the ID found in the database?

Thanks!

Its simply not in the database yet. The database is only updated once a day server side, i'm sure if you check back tomorrow it will show in a search.

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Its simply not in the database yet. The database is only updated once a day server side, i'm sure if you check back tomorrow it will show in a search.

Hmm, I added it yesterday so it should show now, but I guess that could be it. However I still don't get the search algorithm. If I search for Yooka-Laylee it should display every game containing that phrase, right? I shouldn't have to search for a word in the middle of the title like "impossible lair" to find it. 

18 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks for pointing this out @e2zippo. We just upgraded to a new server 8 days ago, and apparently the metadata was not updating properly ever since. I'm currently getting it fixed.

Cool, thanks! Think you can explain the search a bit as well? If I just search for Yooka-Laylee in this case, I can't find "Yooka-Laylee and the impossible lair"  So to find it I have to search for "impossible lair" That doesn't sound right.

6 minutes ago, e2zippo said:

Cool, thanks! Think you can explain the search a bit as well? If I just search for Yooka-Laylee in this case, I can't find "Yooka-Laylee and the impossible lair"  So to find it I have to search for "impossible lair" That doesn't sound right.

It was because it wasnt in the database package you had yet, as Jason said the package was out of date, as soon as it was updated it searches just fine. I just scraped mine by typing Yooka and it found it no problems at all.

430905922_Screenshot(115).thumb.png.5a671d440f08409426068afcecffe776.png

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

It was because it wasnt in the database package you had yet, as Jason said the package was out of date, as soon as it was updated it searches just fine. I just scraped mine by typing Yooka and it found it no problems at all.

430905922_Screenshot(115).thumb.png.5a671d440f08409426068afcecffe776.png

Hmm, my search does not look like that,  and it's still kind of weird. On your search result you can't see "Yooka-Laylee and the impossible lair" for switch, that should show. Shouldn't every title including Yooka show?

My result look like this.

yooka-laylee.png

2 minutes ago, e2zippo said:

Hmm, my search does not look like that,  and it's still kind of weird. On your search result you can't see "Yooka-Laylee and the impossible lair" for switch, that should show. Shouldn't every title including Yooka show?

My result look like this.

yooka-laylee.png

That is because i was searching in my Windows platform so it prioritizes that version. The only reason you were seeing the switch version is because thats all it could find in the entire database. Launchbox will search the specific platform you are in for the game, but will expand that out to other platforms if it doesnt find it in the platform you are in.

10 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

That is because i was searching in my Windows platform so it prioritizes that version. The only reason you were seeing the switch version is because thats all it could find in the entire database. Launchbox will search the specific platform you are in for the game, but will expand that out to other platforms if it doesnt find it in the platform you are in.

Ah, that explains it! I still can't find the game though, maybe my database isn't upp to date?