LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame confusion

Light Sock

1 hour ago, G22 said:

split:

A split set is one where the parent set contains all of the normal data it should, and the clone sets contain only what has changed as compared to the parent set. This saves some space, but isn’t quite as efficient as a merged set.

The clone sets can't operate without their parent set.

Remark: The parent and clones in split sets DO NOT include BIOS or DEVICE files - they are separate files within the set (An example would be 100lions (No BIOS in the parent) and Galaga (No device file in the parent) - This is per MAME design

Separate files within the set so they are in the set just not part of the ROM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G22 said:

Since Demul can't point a different folder for bios and roms some people like me that stores Arcade roms in Games/Arcade and bios in Emulators/Mame/roms to have roms and bios separated may have an issue with Demul. But still non-merged may not be the best as you'll loose 50gb of disk space. You could probably use a non-merged or split set with the bios in the Games/Arcade folder and save 50gb.

Demul can have as many folders as you like, and will read from them all

[files]
nvram = D:\Emulators\Demul .7a\nvram\
romsPathsCount = 6
roms0 = F:\Emulators\Demul .7a\roms\
roms1 = F:\Roms\Arcade\Sammy Atomiswave\
roms2 = F:\Roms\Consoles\Sega\Sega Dreamcast\
roms3 = F:\Roms\Arcade\Sega Naomi\
roms4 = F:\Roms\Arcade\Sega Hikaru\
roms5 = D:\Roms\Arcade\Sega Naomi 2\

[files]
romsPathsCount = 6

I dont have any playlists in my setup, i use roms folders for each system, CPS, Sammy and so on all with the roms for them systems in their own folders, and they all work fine.

And this is my mame rompath 

rompath                   "roms;..\..\Roms\Arcade\Arcade Roms;..\..\Roms\Arcade\Arcade Roms Bios;..\..\Roms\Consoles\Atari\Atari 5200;..\..\Roms\Consoles\Misc\ColecoVision;..\..\Roms\Consoles\SNK\SNK Neo Geo AES;..\..\Roms\Consoles\SNK\SNK Neo Geo CD;..\..\Roms\Consoles\Sega\Sega Saturn;..\..\Roms\Arcade\All Killer No Filler;..\Roms\Arcade\Capcom Play System III;..\Roms\Arcade\Capcom Play System II;..\Roms\Arcade\Capcom Play System;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Atari Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Capcom Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Data East Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Irem Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Konami Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Midway Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Namco Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Namco System 22;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Nintendo Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Sega Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Sega ST-V;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\SNK Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Taito Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Williams Classics;..\..\Roms\Handhelds\Nintendo Game & Watch;..\..\Roms\Handhelds\Tiger Handheld Electronics"

Edited by MadK9

19 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Separate files within the set so they are in the set just not part of the ROM

Oh my god haha! My brain had an hard time processing within the set.

19 hours ago, MadK9 said:

Demul can have as many folders as you like, and will read from them all

[files]
romsPathsCount = 6

[files]
romsPathsCount = 6

I dont have any playlists in my setup, i use roms folders for each system, CPS, Sammy and so on all with the roms for them systems in their own folders, and they all work fine.

And this is my mame rompath 

rompath                   "roms;..\..\Roms\Arcade\Arcade Roms;..\..\Roms\Arcade\Arcade Roms Bios;..\..\Roms\Consoles\Atari\Atari 5200;..\..\Roms\Consoles\Misc\ColecoVision;..\..\Roms\Consoles\SNK\SNK Neo Geo AES;..\..\Roms\Consoles\SNK\SNK Neo Geo CD;..\..\Roms\Consoles\Sega\Sega Saturn;..\..\Roms\Arcade\All Killer No Filler;..\Roms\Arcade\Capcom Play System III;..\Roms\Arcade\Capcom Play System II;..\Roms\Arcade\Capcom Play System;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Atari Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Capcom Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Data East Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Irem Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Konami Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Midway Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Namco Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Namco System 22;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Nintendo Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Sega Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Sega ST-V;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\SNK Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Taito Classics;..\..\Roms\Arcade Classics\Williams Classics;..\..\Roms\Handhelds\Nintendo Game & Watch;..\..\Roms\Handhelds\Tiger Handheld Electronics"

Thanks a lot you're a lifesaver! Much appreciated!

On 11/8/2019 at 11:00 PM, MadK9 said:

Lets clear this up a little. Most people get their mame fix from pleasure dome, and as such have most of the work done for them. So they just need to pick the set they want, and use the bios set if they want to use merged or split. PD has a Bios set, which again is normal, but they don't do a device set.

No with Mame itself if you output a dat or use -listxml and use that against a PD set of files, it will just bug out and most probably break the set. Using their own XML's that are posted every last wednesday of the month (if mame is updated by then) and you can use them against the rom sets to build a FULL working set of Merged, Split or Non-Merged.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:09 PM, MadK9 said:

And clrmamepro WILL build non-merged perfectly. As i have done this multiple times.

I think you made some important points which help clarify things, but I wouldn't assume most people get their roms from PD. It doesn't hurt to make sure, as if you're that person that isn't and have issues it could be quite frustrating. 

The key point here is using the dat file provided by whatever source you are using. All I was trying to point out that might cause problems for people is that if you ClrMamePro with the XML generate from MAME itself, your Non-Merged set will NOT have device files inside rom sets., they will be separate. Of course if you have a full set this is all academic with Launchbox, but if you have a "slim" MAME set, it would matter.

MadK9, I'm not a PD member, could you supply a copy of their complete non-merged DAT file? I keep slim sets for different arcade machines I build and that would save a lot of work manually adding these myself.

14 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

I think you made some important points which help clarify things, but I wouldn't assume most people get their roms from PD. It doesn't hurt to make sure, as if you're that person that isn't and have issues it could be quite frustrating. 

The key point here is using the dat file provided by whatever source you are using. All I was trying to point out that might cause problems for people is that if you ClrMamePro with the XML generate from MAME itself, your Non-Merged set will NOT have device files inside rom sets., they will be separate. Of course if you have a full set this is all academic with Launchbox, but if you have a "slim" MAME set, it would matter.

MadK9, I'm not a PD member, could you supply a copy of their complete non-merged DAT file? I keep slim sets for different arcade machines I build and that would save a lot of work manually adding these myself.

Ye ofc. You may be surprised at the amount of PD users, but i do agree with what you say, and i maybe should of worded it a little differently.

I've attached the complete XML/Dats for 0.215 for you. 

Edited by MadK9

5 hours ago, MadK9 said:

Ye ofc. You may be surprised at the amount of PD users, but i do agree with what you say, and i maybe should of worded it a little differently.

I've attached the complete XML/Dats for 0.215 for you. 

I never doubted the number of PD users, just know when doing support best not to assume. It's all good. ☺️

Thanks for posting those.