LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android 0.26 Beta Released

Jason Carr

Hello all, I just uploaded version 0.26 in beta form to the Play Store. Hopefully it will go live quickly here.

I've been working on an import process that runs directly on the Android device (instead of requiring an export from the desktop app) for weeks now, and this is the result. I'm releasing this in beta form first, because it's such a big release. The only other new thing with this release is the fact that the app should now work on Intel x86 and x64 devices as well (instead of just arm and arm64).

In order to use the betas, you'll need to opt-in to the beta releases here:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox

Once you've opted in, you should be able to able to update to the beta version on your Android device.

Please keep in mind that if you opt-in to the betas, you won't be able to leave a public review of the app (and we can use them if you're willing). You have to use the same link to opt out of the betas before you'll be able to leave a public review.

Any testing you guys can do on the new import process (or anywhere else) would be much appreciated. :)

• Game On 3

Just tested it with a GBA game i have, and I managed to get it to import, but I had to to try 3 times do to the activity/ screen not refreshing/ moving to the next step(please see image as an example of where it was stuck) , other than that it worked good job

Screenshot_20191113-211455.jpg

Edited by Cruz1214
Adding an image
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pholco said:

do I still need to convert the mame roms to android on pc before transferring them(with usb) to my nvidia shield?

The point of this new beta is to allow you to import them directly on your Android device, not have to export them. But that functionality is currently beta, and you do have more options currently on the desktop.

13 hours ago, Cruz1214 said:

Just tested it with a GBA game i have, and I managed to get it to import, but I had to to try 3 times do to the activity/ screen not refreshing/ moving to the next step(please see image as an example of where it was stuck) , other than that it worked good job

Screenshot_20191113-211455.jpg

This looks to be an Internet connection issue, but I'll confirm and see if there's anything I can do to make that part more resilient.

3 hours ago, Gingerdilligaf said:

Just tried it on nvidia shield but the app crashes when I try to import roms from my external hd

I've done most of my testing on my own nVidia Shield TV, so I'm not sure why you'd be running into that. What screen is it crashing on? What text is displayed on the screen when it crashes?

Thanks for all the testing guys.

3 hours ago, Gingerdilligaf said:

Just tried it on nvidia shield but the app crashes when I try to import roms from my external hd

for me it doesn't crash, but can't seem to play any roms(mame/dreamcast). I have to leave my USB stick in for order to play the games. I know that can't be since we can transfer normal roms via usb into launchbox android. 

3 minutes ago, Gingerdilligaf said:

Ok I choose folder for games & platform. I click on import games & the list of games appears. Proceed & it prepares data,starts to download box art & kicks me back to the shield home screen before it finishes. Could it be that my roms are zipped?

Okay, what type of nVidia Shield do you have? Is it a Shield TV? It shouldn't matter that the ROMs are zipped. Sounds like it's not liking the downloads though for some reason.

1 minute ago, Pholco said:

for me it doesn't crash, but can't seem to play any roms(mame/dreamcast). I have to leave my USB stick in for order to play the games. I know that can't be since we can transfer normal roms via usb into launchbox android. 

The on-Android importer won't move the ROMs off of your USB stick. It just uses them in whatever location you put them in. If you want to move them from your USB stick to your Android device, first copy the ROMs onto your Android device, and then run the import.

1 minute ago, Pholco said:

Also, is there going to be any chance on a search button or options to search for our roms? cause its annoying if i want to go trough my whole collection for playing a game that starts with a S or something.

Yes, we'll definitely get a search function in there eventually.

2 minutes ago, Gingerdilligaf said:

I'm on the shield tv. Roms all work fine through arc browser but was hoping to replace that with launchbox. Also have a shield tv in bedroom with a hard drive connected but same problem on that one. Thanks an advance

Wow, two of them doing the same thing. The only difference I can envision between your setup and mine would be the Internet connection. Does it always immediately crash when it gets to the downloading stage, or does it randomly get part of the way through it and then crash?

11 minutes ago, Gingerdilligaf said:

It seems to get part of the way through then crash. I've tried about 5 or 6 different platforms & internet connection is good. Thanks for looking into it I've got work tonight & I'll do more testing over weekend

One more question, what platforms did you import? Just in case I'm able to replicate it with certain platforms.