LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox for Android 0.26 Beta Released

Jason Carr

FYI on this all; I've hit a major roadblock that is fairly disastrous.

Android phone manufacturers have a nasty habit of aggressively killing off any apps that use a large amount of resources. This is done to conserve battery, primarily. On my Samsung Galaxy S10+, it's not an issue when I have the phone plugged in, which is why I didn't discover the issue initially. However, the moment I unplug the phone, all of the sudden the import processes are killed regularly.

The issues we're seeing in this thread are not because the app is crashing, but rather because Android (more specifically the customized versions of Android installed on mobile devices by certain manufacturers) are killing the app. At this point I don't have a good solution to this problem; I've tried everything from running it all on the main application thread (which destroys performance) to setting a super high thread priority, which seems to do nothing. At this point I'm seriously concerned about the feasibility of Android for the future at all. I also have more sympathy and understanding for some of the common issues that I see with emulators on Android.

More information on this issue is available here: https://dontkillmyapp.com/

I plan to do a bit more experimentation to try and come up with some sort of a solution, but the way it's looking right now is not good. This is an issue that many Android app developers are dealing with, and I do not want to deal with the support nightmare that is having to tell everyone to change settings or hack their devices in order to get around this issue.

This is all after spending 3 weeks of development time on this import process. The more I deal with stuff like this, the more I appreciate Windows.

Just uploaded version 0.27 to the Play Store, so it should be available soon. I'm hoping this release fixes the app killing issues I described above for at least some people, but I'm fairly certain it won't fix it for everyone. Still, if you were experiencing issues with the new import process closing to the desktop, please give the new version a test and let me know how it goes.

I did some brainstorming with @CBeatt13 (C-Beats as he apparently likes to go by these days), and we came up with some more optimization I can do to try and prevent the app kills further, but that will take quite a bit more development effort, so I'm hoping that these quick fixes at least help in the mean time.

All in all, I have no idea if we'll ever be able to eliminate the app kills completely, but I'm certainly hoping so.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Just uploaded version 0.27 to the Play Store, so it should be available soon. I'm hoping this release fixes the app killing issues I described above for at least some people, but I'm fairly certain it won't fix it for everyone. Still, if you were experiencing issues with the new import process closing to the desktop, please give the new version a test and let me know how it goes.

I did some brainstorming with @CBeatt13 (C-Beats as he apparently likes to go by these days), and we came up with some more optimization I can do to try and prevent the app kills further, but that will take quite a bit more development effort, so I'm hoping that these quick fixes at least help in the mean time.

All in all, I have no idea if we'll ever be able to eliminate the app kills completely, but I'm certainly hoping so.

Ok @Jason Carr, i downloaded version 0.27 this morning and tried importing systems i was having the app kill issue with on 0.26 and all systems imported fine. So whatever you did for 0.27 seems to of fixed the issue, at least for me on my specific phone, which is a Hauwei P20 Pro. If you did indeed limit the cores the import uses in order to lower the hit to the CPU then i certainly didnt notice it, the imports seemed just as fast as they were on 0.26 for me here. So as far as me personally is concerned the issue is fixed on 0.27, but of course you need more of a sample size than one. :) 

8 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Ok @Jason Carr, i downloaded version 0.27 this morning and tried importing systems i was having the app kill issue with on 0.26 and all systems imported fine. So whatever you did for 0.27 seems to of fixed the issue, at least for me on my specific phone, which is a Hauwei P20 Pro. If you did indeed limit the cores the import uses in order to lower the hit to the CPU then i certainly didnt notice it, the imports seemed just as fast as they were on 0.26 for me here. So as far as me personally is concerned the issue is fixed on 0.27, but of course you need more of a sample size than one. :) 

7 hours ago, Gingerdilligaf said:

Following the update the import process is now working on my shield tv. Great work thanks

Great to hear guys, thanks. I am a bit surprised by that outcome. Hopefully it's typical. I have noticed some bugs in this version where for some reason the downloads are not working in some cases though (so you end up with missing images). So I have that to resolve, and there's also more I can do to reduce RAM usage, so I expect that will help as well if we continue to experience issues on other devices.

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I have noticed some bugs in this version where for some reason the downloads are not working in some cases though (so you end up with missing images).

I did notice missing images for some games that should probably have them, but i haven't actually looked at the database to see if they are in fact there.

• Like 1

I just uploaded version 0.28 with the following:

• Fixed the import process to resolve an issue where some images were not downloading properly

• Improved download performance with the new import process

We seemed to have surprisingly good luck with 0.27 as far as it eliminating the app killing issue, but I'm hesitant to believe that it's really fixed. Any testing you guys can do on your various devices would be very much appreciated. :)

• Like 1

Version 0.28 is not out yet, but was able to download 0.27, i was able to successfully import various mame roms with no issues. Still working on other platforms.  Did have issues with the images as only one (Shinobi) is being displayed. Looking forward to version 0.28 to see if this fixes the issue.

BTW, i am using a galaxy note 10 plus. 

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Vader
additional comment
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vader said:

Version 0.28 is not out yet, but was able to download 0.27, i was able to successfully import various mame roms with no issues. Still working on other platforms.  Did have issues with the images as only one (Shinobi) is being displayed. Looking forward to version 0.28 to see if this fixes the issue.

BTW, i am using a galaxy note 10 plus. 

Keep up the good work!

Thank you Vader. :)

FYI all, it looks like the update just went live.