LaunchBox Community Forums

75hz or 144hz Monitor for Retrogaming

PixelJunkie

I'm in the process of building a full launchbox arcade cab using a recent PC build I put together.  

Specs:  AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 GB DDR 4 3200 RAM, Nvidia 1660ti. 

Currently, this is all running on a bar top I built, but I want to transition it to a full size arcade cab over the upcoming holidays, and simply return my bartop to running a PI 3b+.  I need to put a new 32" monitor in the new cabinet and am trying to figure out if there will be any significant advantage of using a 144hz vs a 75hz monitor.  The 2 displays I am considering at the moment are LG 32GK650F (144hz) and LG 32QK500-W (75hz).  Both support FreeSync or Adaptive Refresh Rates, which I've confirmed will work with my Nvidia setup.  

The LG 32GK650F supports Freesync from 48hz-144hz and the LG32QK500-W supports Freesync from 48hz-75hz.  

I want to emulate a number of MAME games up through a few select PS3 games.  I don't expect to play many modern PC games on this machine, except for 1-2 racing games or fighters.  Given most of what I expect to emulate and use this for runs natively in the range of 50-75hz, will I see any benefit of a 144hz monitor?  Resolution wise, both monitors are 2560x1440.

The other two factors, and I don't know how important they will be, is that the 144hz panel is a VA panel and the 75hz is IPS.  Also, the 144hz panel has horizontal inputs, meaning I will have to mod the mount in the cabinet to be able to mount the monitor onto the cabinet and connect the input cables and power (will be otherwise blocked by the wood mount of the cabinet).  On the 75hz model, the inputs are vertical, meaning they plug in from underneath the monitor, and this wouldn't be an issue.

The other consideration, is that I need the monitor to be flat, not curved, so that it fits in the arcade cab.  Interested in any thoughts or suggestions.  I haven't been able to find exactly what I was looking for... which is a 32" 144hz Freesync flat monitor, IPS panel, 2560x1440 resolution, with vertical inputs on the back.  The 75hz model covers most of what I'm looking for, with the exception of it's not 144hz.  The 144hz model I found isn't an IPS panel and doesn't have the ideal placement of the inputs.

Will I see any benefit if I use a 144hz monitor for my setup?  

16 minutes ago, PixelJunkie said:

I'm in the process of building a full launchbox arcade cab using a recent PC build I put together.  

Specs:  AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 GB DDR 4 3200 RAM, Nvidia 1660ti. 

Currently, this is all running on a bar top I built, but I want to transition it to a full size arcade cab over the upcoming holidays, and simply return my bartop to running a PI 3b+.  I need to put a new 32" monitor in the new cabinet and am trying to figure out if there will be any significant advantage of using a 144hz vs a 75hz monitor.  The 2 displays I am considering at the moment are LG 32GK650F (144hz) and LG 32QK500-W (75hz).  Both support FreeSync or Adaptive Refresh Rates, which I've confirmed will work with my Nvidia setup.  

The LG 32GK650F supports Freesync from 48hz-144hz and the LG32QK500-W supports Freesync from 48hz-75hz.  

I want to emulate a number of MAME games up through a few select PS3 games.  I don't expect to play many modern PC games on this machine, except for 1-2 racing games or fighters.  Given most of what I expect to emulate and use this for runs natively in the range of 50-75hz, will I see any benefit of a 144hz monitor?  Resolution wise, both monitors are 2560x1440.

The other two factors, and I don't know how important they will be, is that the 144hz panel is a VA panel and the 75hz is IPS.  Also, the 144hz panel has horizontal inputs, meaning I will have to mod the mount in the cabinet to be able to mount the monitor onto the cabinet and connect the input cables and power (will be otherwise blocked by the wood mount of the cabinet).  On the 75hz model, the inputs are vertical, meaning they plug in from underneath the monitor, and this wouldn't be an issue.

The other consideration, is that I need the monitor to be flat, not curved, so that it fits in the arcade cab.  Interested in any thoughts or suggestions.  I haven't been able to find exactly what I was looking for... which is a 32" 144hz Freesync flat monitor, IPS panel, 2560x1440 resolution, with vertical inputs on the back.  The 75hz model covers most of what I'm looking for, with the exception of it's not 144hz.  The 144hz model I found isn't an IPS panel and doesn't have the ideal placement of the inputs.

Will I see any benefit if I use a 144hz monitor for my setup?  

If you are not planning on PC gaming at those higher framerates then i would stick tho the 75hz model personally. Its a IPS panel so should have better input lag and grey to grey response than the VA panel. Most systems you are going to emulate are going to be 30 or 60Hz for the most part. Arcade would be a outlier there as there are some weird refresh rates there, but seeing as these are variable refresh monitors they will run at there native framerate without tearing (im not aware of any Arcade games that run below 48 or above 75, although i could be wrong). Having said all that though you dont mention the prices of the two monitors, so if they are in the same ballpark price wise i might be tempted to go with the higher framerate just for future proofing or the ability to re-purpose the monitor down the road for use for actual PC gaming at high refresh rates, bearing in mind the future generation of consoles are also going to be supporting variable refresh rates.