LaunchBox Community Forums

Xml file corrupt

wigan

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm getting this error very often in my cabinet setup. Sometimes when some emulator crashes I need to power off the entire cabinet and after restarting the PC I get this error on SETTINGS.XML file. Is there a way to resolve it? 

I don't have keyboard and mouse connected to the cabinet since is intended to be used only with the joysticks. 

38 minutes ago, lextar said:

Hi,

I'm getting this error very often in my cabinet setup. Sometimes when some emulator crashes I need to power off the entire cabinet and after restarting the PC I get this error on SETTINGS.XML file. Is there a way to resolve it? 

I don't have keyboard and mouse connected to the cabinet since is intended to be used only with the joysticks. 

Hi @lextar, if an emulator crashes, it's important to still close down LaunchBox properly. If you just power off the cabinet, you're definitely going to run into corruption issues like this. So it's very important not to just kill or force reboot the PC every time you have an issue.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/27/2021 at 11:51 PM, Jason Carr said:

Hi @lextar, if an emulator crashes, it's important to still close down LaunchBox properly. If you just power off the cabinet, you're definitely going to run into corruption issues like this. So it's very important not to just kill or force reboot the PC every time you have an issue.

I restored the file from the backup, Do you plan to release a feature that auto loads back the backup when the data files are corrupted?  it would be a very nice feature... 

21 hours ago, lextar said:

I restored the file from the backup, Do you plan to release a feature that auto loads back the backup when the data files are corrupted?  it would be a very nice feature... 

The problem with doing that is that data loss is still possible, so the user needs to at least know that there was a corruption issue. But yes, we could probably still streamline that. It is a pretty rare issue though (or it should be), so it's hard to prioritize.

• Like 1