LaunchBox Community Forums

Dosbox + Game Controller, the best solution?

samfisher5986

I have a dosbox + DFend setup with Launchbox which works nicely, but I'm struggling to use the games with my xbox 360 controller.

I have my controller keymapped to the arrows and things like ctrl, I thought dosbox would take my gamepad button presses and convert it to keyboard presses, but it appears a joystick and keyboard at the same time, its very strange.

I know this because I can enter Prince of Persia 1, and it will take my gamepad as a joystick and react to presses incorrectly, but then if I switch it to keyboard mode, it will act correct as I've programmed dosbox. The issue there is joystick mode is default if a joystick is detected.

Here are some of my other issues.

1. I can get some buttons working via dosbox keymap, but certain buttons don't work, like the ESC key. This makes playing a simple like Doom not possible with keyboard assistance.

2. Some games randomly detect my "joystick" which causes issues since I just want my controller to use the arrows and hit the ctrl key etc.

3. Some games like wolvenstein ignore my "joystick" and my keymaps, which is weird.

Does anyone have a partially working solution? I wasn't expecting perfect compatiblity, but I thought I could at least get Doom and Wolfenstein working..

I am aware I could probably just reprogram the whole controller via ds4windows or something, but then it would probably break everything else.

Edited by samfisher5986

29 minutes ago, IlhanK said:

Do not download Pinnacle Game Profiler. The setup file has been infected with a virus. For more info click here.

Thanks for the post, its too late for me but it seems no damage has been done, I've uninstalled it and run a malware scan just in case.

Edited by samfisher5986