Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
drw4013

Easy way to change rom paths from .7z to .iso on different drive?

Recommended Posts

I've currently got one platforms games in .7z format on D:, and I wanted to change it to .iso format on :E since I have space to spare.  Is there a way to do this while still keeping all the metadata and artwork?  'Tools'->'Change ROM Path' wants to look for the same exact filename.

Edited by drw4013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beside the drive letter, Is the name of the rom file the same with only .7z and .iso differing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Beside the drive letter, Is the name of the rom file the same with only .7z and .iso differing? 

The file name - Yes.  The full filename / folder structure, no...but I could definitely change that if it makes the process easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not worrying about folder and path names, but if the game name is exact except for the file ending then maybe you can edit the xaml and do a find all/replace .7z with .iso this way it made the file name now the “game name.iso” then when do a rom path change it is now looking for the .iso. 
 

Hope I am making sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Not worrying about folder and path names, but if the game name is exact except for the file ending then maybe you can edit the xaml and do a find all/replace .7z with .iso this way it made the file name now the “game name.iso” then when do a rom path change it is now looking for the .iso. 
 

Hope I am making sense. 

Sounds easy enough, thanks for the suggestion.  I could even find->replace the full folder path too I assume?

Which specific XML file is this referring to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SonicFan53 said:

there's a VERY simple solution: go into the .xml file for whatever system your game is in, change the rom path associated with it to whatever the new one is, and boom!

Wouldn't this only work if the file extensions did not change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SonicFan53 said:

there's a VERY simple solution: go into the .xml file for whatever system your game is in, change the rom path associated with it to whatever the new one is, and boom!

Not what he was asking, and we already have a option to do what you are saying in the UI, no need to edit data files at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, drw4013 said:

I've currently got one platforms games in .7z format on D:, and I wanted to change it to .iso format on :E since I have space to spare.  Is there a way to do this while still keeping all the metadata and artwork?  'Tools'->'Change ROM Path' wants to look for the same exact filename.

Probably easiest to just delete and re-import the platform, just uncheck all the image downloads and they will re-attach after import.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 3:01 PM, Retro808 said:

Not worrying about folder and path names, but if the game name is exact except for the file ending then maybe you can edit the xaml and do a find all/replace .7z with .iso this way it made the file name now the “game name.iso” then when do a rom path change it is now looking for the .iso. 
 

Hope I am making sense. 

So I went into LaunchBox\Data\Platforms, and then 1) replaced the folder string and 2) replaced all .7z values with .iso in the platform's XML file.

However, when starting LB up, the changes don't show up.  All games for the platform still show the old filepath and file extension.  Using the Change ROM Path option states no games found, since it's still looking for the .7z files.

Am I updating the wrong XML file?

Edited by drw4013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drw4013 said:

So I went into LaunchBox\Data\Platforms, and then 1) replaced the folder string and 2) replaced all .7z values with .iso in the platform's XML file.

However, when starting LB up, the changes don't show up.  All games for the platform still show the old filepath and file extension.  Using the Change ROM Path option states no games found, since it's still looking for the .7z files.

Am I updating the wrong XML file?

Did you do this while Launchbox was open? If so it will not keep. It has to be closed if you edit a xaml. You can do what Neil said and just delete the games, then import the .iso from the new path and choose not to download media. Launchbox will attach the existing media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Did you do this while Launchbox was open? If so it will not keep. It has to be closed if you edit a xaml. You can do what Neil said and just delete the games, then import the .iso from the new path and choose not to download media. Launchbox will attach the existing media.

No, but it looks like I needed to update the Games Folder in the Platform emulator settings first.  Working now.  Thanks for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...