LaunchBox Community Forums

Dreamcast with Retorarch launcing in Launchbox Help

klwolf2000

I recently got Launchbox and I'm trying to get Launchbox to launch dreamcast through Retroarch. I've been using Retroarch for a while and all my games are already setup/functional so I'm using Retroarch as my default emulator. Retroarch works fine playing Dreamcast games already but when I try to launch them in Launchbox nothing happens. I checked the emulator settings and see that Dreamcast is associated with Retroarch and the default player. Is there something else that I have to do to get it to work? 

5 minutes ago, klwolf2000 said:

I recently got Launchbox and I'm trying to get Launchbox to launch dreamcast through Retroarch. I've been using Retroarch for a while and all my games are already setup/functional so I'm using Retroarch as my default emulator. Retroarch works fine playing Dreamcast games already but when I try to launch them in Launchbox nothing happens. I checked the emulator settings and see that Dreamcast is associated with Retroarch and the default player. Is there something else that I have to do to get it to work? 

Check your Associated Platforms tab when you choose Manage Emulators and edit Retroarch to make sure you have your Dreamcast platform name listed and the correct core chosen for it.

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Check your Associated Platforms tab when you choose Manage Emulators and edit Retroarch to make sure you have your Dreamcast platform name listed and the correct core chosen for it.

I already checked that earlier and manually added Dreamcast with the Flyby core that I use in Retroarch but the games won't launch. I did try switching to redream emulator to see if it would work but it launches with the game list and doesn't launch the game automatically. 

25 minutes ago, klwolf2000 said:

I already checked that earlier and manually added Dreamcast with the Flyby core that I use in Retroarch but the games won't launch. I did try switching to redream emulator to see if it would work but it launches with the game list and doesn't launch the game automatically. 

Can you share pics.

1: Edit Retroarch in Manage Emualtors and share a pic of the Details Tab and the Associated Platforms tab.

2: Right click and edit a Dreamcast game and share a pic of the Launcher tab and the Emulation tab.

23 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Can you share pics.

1: Edit Retroarch in Manage Emualtors and share a pic of the Details Tab and the Associated Platforms tab.

2: Right click and edit a Dreamcast game and share a pic of the Launcher tab and the Emulation tab.

The name of the core was actually flycast not flyby that I posted earlier. 

emuator.PNG

game.PNG

2 minutes ago, klwolf2000 said:

The name of the core was actually flycast not flyby that I posted earlier. 

emuator.PNG

game.PNG

I need you to post the exact pictures I asked. Please look back at my post and show those images. Each of those tabs will show if something might be missing or checked wrong.

28 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You are right clicking and showing the wrong image. Right click and choose edit. It will bring you into a new window showing the games details. Show a pic of the Launcher tab selected and then one with the Emulation tab selected.

8 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You are right clicking and showing the wrong image. Right click and choose edit. It will bring you into a new window showing the games details. Show a pic of the Launcher tab selected and then one with the Emulation tab selected.

Sorry I didn't know where exactly you wanted me to screen shot but I got it now.

launcher.PNG

emuator.PNG

4 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Point to the game's .cue file not the .bin file.

You are a genius! I changed it to . gdi which is the format I use and it works! Now...... How do I get Launchbox to ignore all .bin files and specifically use the .gdi because as far as I can tell I can only manually do this and it will take me 4ever to manually edit every game?

11 hours ago, klwolf2000 said:

You are a genius! I changed it to . gdi which is the format I use and it works! Now...... How do I get Launchbox to ignore all .bin files and specifically use the .gdi because as far as I can tell I can only manually do this and it will take me 4ever to manually edit every game?

I came across something similar to this and the quickest way to fix was to delete all my DC games from Launchbox and re-import all of my games using the Import Wizard, and on the last screen titled 'Ready to Import' i deleted everything that wasn't a .gdi before i hit finish. I sorted the files using the 'Extension' column to make it easier. This meant LB was only loading the .gdi files and the import was quicker as LB already had the image files etc.

All is now working perfectly for me in Redream, hope the above helps.

Edited by JoeBloggs
added context

You can also import the files by just using the search built in to Windows explorer. Just go to the folder and type *.gdi in the search box, highlight them all and drag and drop onto Launchbox to start the import wizard. This is the recommended way for file types that have more than one file, Launchbox only needs the one file, usually the .gdi or .cue file.