LaunchBox Community Forums

can launch box run through external drive?

Japexican007

I purchased a prebuilt hyperspin drive to run on my extensions arcade cabinet, come to find out the drive is for windows 10 and has all sorts of issues, I tried contacting the seller but he disappeared, long story short I got a useless drive with lots of Roms, how difficult would it be to delete the hyperspin front end setup and replace it with launchbox and can i run it via external drive?

"Seller disappeared" I think I've heard that a few times before?? Launchbox can be made portable and run off an external drive. Just keep your roms on the drive and delete all of the hyperspin-related files. However, it would run noticeably faster and more efficiently if you kept the launchbox files on your main "C" drive and keep the roms on the external drive. That's your call though.

Depends on your hardware, I'm running it on a Intel NUC Hades Canyon and it runs absolutely fine, in my opinion. (Check my last post in the thread below). I have nothing installed on internal, only downside is, if a new version of LB is out, you have to fiddle around a bit, not to mess it up, so I do that manually. 

Edited by DeadVoivod

7 hours ago, Japexican007 said:

Thanks for the quick reply, I’m trying to run the cabinet off of an Alienware alpha which only has 1 tb hardrive, the prebuilt drive I bought was the 8tb one so it would be a no go as far as putting the data in the pc, how slow would you say though? 

It definitely depends on your hardware, but with the newer games (PlayStation 2, Dreamcast, 3DS), games will load up faster if the program files are stored on your "C" drive especially if it's a SSD. To do my own comparison tests, I've run some pre-made setups which included frontend, emulator, games, etc. and the load time was about 2-5 seconds longer per game when run from an external drive. 

One other VERY important thing to note if running LaunchBox, Big Box, or any emulation off an external drive is to adjust your computers "Power Saving" options. By default Windows will shut off USB connections it feels are being too resource intensive which will cause several errors. If you go that route make sure to turn all that off or you are liable to see many issues.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bundangdon said:

It definitely depends on your hardware, but with the newer games (PlayStation 2, Dreamcast, 3DS), games will load up faster if the program files are stored on your "C" drive especially if it's a SSD. To do my own comparison tests, I've run some pre-made setups which included frontend, emulator, games, etc. and the load time was about 2-5 seconds longer per game when run from an external drive. 

17 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

Depends on your hardware, I'm running it on a Intel NUC Hades Canyon and it runs absolutely fine, in my opinion. (Check my last post in the thread below). I have nothing installed on internal, only downside is, if a new version of LB is out, you have to fiddle around a bit, not to mess it up, so I do that manually. 

thanks, do you have a beginners guide set up for launchbox on external drive? i would greatly appreciate any help i can get