LaunchBox Community Forums

selecting games eats Memory

Ble3azy

Hey all,

Context: I have around 1500 games total in the library, and I use playlists to sort them into various chunks ("party night", "currently playing" etc).

Action performed: just the act of highlighting games, or ctrl clicking several (before even adding or getting to any further action) eventually leaves launchbox unresponsive, slows my machine to a crawl, and ultimately shows the low memory error and launchbox force closes itself. (I have 16gb ram)

A quick look at task manager shows that each select click is stacking approx 30-100mb to used memory, which is never flushed. meaning after 50~ish games have been clicked on the exe is showing over 6gb use. These are not new images either, they have already been cached as far as I can tell as scrolling through the games without selecting shows box art images instantly. So I presume the accompanying extra art is all being loaded in and kept?

FYI this isn't specific to 10.1, as It's been happening for a few versions now. Is this normal behaviour?

Cheers.
B

Edited by Ble3azy

First, just so we are clear what version are you on? I seem you mention 10.1, is that ACTUALLY 10.1, or  10.10? Current live version is 10.11.

Secondly, if you aren't adding any more games to the playlists you are referring to I would check and make sure they aren't auto-generated playlists. Auto-generated playlist take a considerable amount more of resources than manual ones, and cause extra calculations in many processes. If you know those playlists will not be changing much in the future I would make sure to untick that box.

• 2 weeks later...

It's version 10.11. but like I say this has been happening for a long time, including v9.

I think you may have confused the issue, regardless of playlists or not, I'm just talking about literally selecting games, with a single left click on the mouse, or ctrl clicking a few, not within a playlist. (my example was to then add to playlists but it could be for any reason like mass editing etc).

FYI none of the playlists are auto generated anyway,

(Edit: I just did an experiment and deleted all playlists and it still does it. If fact I also noticed whilst selecting games, Task manager not only shows the memory stacking up, but just selecting random games (this time I was actually using the "select random game" tool shortcut ctrl+alt+Q) the CPU was over 85% on my i5 7300HQ during the selections)

My point is just clicking and looking at games seems to be taking up an unbelievably unreasonable amount of resources/overhead. which is obviously a huge concern, as then deciding to run a game after looking at a few, even with 16gb installed my game then has no Ram left to use!

Edited by Ble3azy

Just tried to reproduce this and I cannot see any change my ram usage. Launchbox hovers around 730-760 MB of ram usage  on average and clicking around games sometimes the ram goes up a little and other times it goes down a little. Changing platforms and clicking around did make it spike up to around 800 MB but it then quickly dropped back down to 700 MB

3 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Just tried to reproduce this and I cannot see any change my ram usage. Launchbox hovers around 730-760 MB of ram usage  on average and clicking around games sometimes the ram goes up a little and other times it goes down a little. Changing platforms and clicking around did make it spike up to around 800 MB but it then quickly dropped back down to 700 MB

Weird.

I have the blur function on could it be that? Or the fact it's a portable instillation on an external HDD (7200) ?