LaunchBox Community Forums

Game Gear Retorarch Overlay Config

SteveT79

Having problems with retroarch genesis_plus_gx and overlays.  I have it set up already for genesis with overlays which worked great, however the core is shared now with game gear and sms.  I want the gamegear overlay to just be the gamegear and not game overlay, but if the rom exists in the overlay config for genesis that overlay is shown instead of the gamegear overlay.  

Not sure where the configuration is coming from that is causing this issue.

I'm using the -c option with a custom config for gamegear separate from genesis.  How do I override the game overlay?

You dont need to use the -c commands anymore, and you also dont need to split cores. Retroarch now has three override types, "save core override" "save game override" and "save content directory override" use the content directory override, for different settings for cores that support multiple systems.

I think that helps but I don't know where save content directory override is located and systemname is pretty abiguous.  I'm starting to think I just rename all GG roms with (GG) to distinguish and be done with it.

Why does retroarch have so many configs.... also it seems from reading that gamename.cfg overrides systemname.cfg so maybe it's fruitless as well.

I think that helps but I don't know where save content directory override is located and systemname is pretty abiguous.  I'm starting to think I just rename all GG roms with (GG) to distinguish and be done with it.

Why does retroarch have so many configs.... also it seems from reading that gamename.cfg overrides systemname.cfg so maybe it's fruitless as well.

Edit:

Ok my hunch was right.  I was eventually able to get it "mostly" working except with a GG rom name matched a genesis rom name and the game overlay was applied instead of the system overlay.  Don't know any way around this other than adding a suffix to all roms such as (GG) to differentiate them by name.

Also at one point retroarch was flip flopping between settings... very strange.  Load the game one time and it would have different video settings than second time, eventually sorted that out.

It saves them in Retroarch -> config -> core as well.

So my core override is called Genesis Plus GX.cfg and my directory overrides are called Sega CD.cfg, Sega Genesis.cfg, and Sega MasterSystem.cfg, which match my directory folders holding those roms.

The Retroarch configs are additive, so more like appended, so they are incredibly flexible. As you get closer to inidivual game configs, only differences are applied.

Edited by Headrush69

12 minutes ago, SteveT79 said:

I was eventually able to get it "mostly" working except with a GG rom name matched a genesis rom name and the game overlay was applied instead of the system overlay.  Don't know any way around this other than adding a suffix to all roms such as (GG) to differentiate them by name.

Probably the easiest work around for the few multi system cores where this might happen.