LaunchBox Community Forums

SOLVED: New Installation Welcome Screen Crash

artician

Hi,

I'm trying to solve the crash error related to: "CefSharp.BroswerSubprocess has stopped working". 

I just installed Launchbox on an offline Win7 machine. 
The machine is up to date otherwise and has .NET4.8 installed. 
The Launchbox installation unpacks the files in the specified directory, and seems to complete successfully.
Something that appears to be a blank Welcome window appears.
The application hangs and the Windows error dialog prompts the user to close the application.
About 50% of the time a second crash dialog will appear that states "CefSharp.BroswerSubprocess has stopped working".

Some internet searches lead me to believe this is related to a browser rendering a web page.  Does the Launchbox welcome window display online content?  Being an offline machine, this PC only has a basic version of Internet Explorer bundled with it.  Is it possible the machine needs a modern browser installed in order render this content?

If my guesses are off the mark, are there any other ideas?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.

Edited by artician
solved

Launchbox DOES on first load of a version attempt to bring a Window up with a changelog that does hit an HTML address. Won't be able to confirm until tomorrow but if it IS that you could attempt to add the following line to your Settings.xml file (if not already present).

<NoWelcomeVersion>10.12-beta-5</NoWelcomeVersion>

Can go anywhere in between the <Setting> tags. If that corrects it let me know.

Realize now I wasn't as clear as I should have been. Inside the <NoWelcomeVersion> tags should be what ever version you are installing. Could I get the following information from you:

What version are you installing?

Has Launchbox ever worked on this install?

Do you have a screenshot of the error you are getting? And if so could you post it?

Also just a thought as well, any way you can connect the system to the net temporarily either via ethernet or a wifi dongle just to make sure that Launchbox does actually load as normal. Just to rule out a issue with maybe corruption during the install  related to chromium or some such.

Hi, thank you for replying.

I'm not able to connect the machine to the net at the moment.  I'll see if that's possible asap.

@C-Beats - I know, I input 10.11 and that was my result.  :(

@neil9000 - Does Launchbox install a copy of chromium?  I'm not able to connect the machine to the net at the moment.  I'll see if that's possible.  In the meantime, I'll try to install a browser myself and see if it provides some information.

Would really be helpful if you could get a picture of the error message you are seeing. Also could you open your Settings.xml and look for the following:

<DebugLog>true</DebugLog>

and add it if not in. Then try again and look to see if there is a file in \\Launchbox\Logs and send me the most recent file in there. Can send both in a PM so we make sure no personal information is in either.

Debug was not enabled, so I enabled it. 

Upon launch I saw a complete UI window for the first time, but the program still immediately crashed.  I've PM'd you my log.

EDIT: To answer these questions:
"What version are you installing?"
"Has Launchbox ever worked on this install?
No it has not.
The "CefSharp.BroswerSubprocess " error was more infrequent, but I will send a screenshot when I see it next.  I sent a screenshot of the "regular" crash dialog.

Thank you!

Edited by artician

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up here as well, the update:
My issue was caused by my Windows 7 machine being offline.  Win7 needs to auto-update its root certificate stores via the network before it can install more current software.  I was unable to find an individual download that updated the root certs offline, but when online I was able to continue with the installation as normal, and everything is working as it should be.

Thank you for your help.