LaunchBox Community Forums

Arcade buttons not registering input...

FormulaFox

11 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Before that try removing both the InputBindings.xml and the Settings.xml. This should set things pretty fresh on reboot of LB. Oh, make sure LB is closed when you remove them.

Sadly that has made no difference on this matter - though it did appear that LB booted up slightly faster, so it did SOMETHING.

8 minutes ago, FormulaFox said:

Sadly that has made no difference on this matter - though it did appear that LB booted up slightly faster, so it did SOMETHING.

LOL.

OK, I will tag @Jason Carr or @C-Beats see if either one can take a look. In the meantime if you do not have debugging on turn in on so we can have a report. Maybe it can show if something is wrong.

>Tools>Options in the Debugging section enable debugging logs.

Coming in a bit late and I admit @Retro808 hardware knowledge far exceeds mine but I find it odd that you have to set up Steam to use XInput. Why isn't Windows recognizing the controllers AS XInput devices immediately? If the OS doesn't recognize the controllers as X or D Input Controllers I could see it causing issues. Could also see an issue if for some reason despite the two USB cords, if both are registering the same ID with the OS. The signals could be fighting each other (on side reporting button up the other reporting button down, and the first wins the race condition). I admit though, I'd have to do some research on how best to troubleshoot those and prove out what is or is not happening.

9 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Coming in a bit late and I admit @Retro808 hardware knowledge far exceeds mine but I find it odd that you have to set up Steam to use XInput. Why isn't Windows recognizing the controllers AS XInput devices immediately? If the OS doesn't recognize the controllers as X or D Input Controllers I could see it causing issues. Could also see an issue if for some reason despite the two USB cords, if both are registering the same ID with the OS. The signals could be fighting each other (on side reporting button up the other reporting button down, and the first wins the race condition). I admit though, I'd have to do some research on how best to troubleshoot those and prove out what is or is not happening.

Windows IS recognizing them properly. Steam kept putting ITSELF in a mode to read generic controllers instead of XBox controllers despite me changing the settings.

34 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

LOL.

OK, I will tag @Jason Carr or @C-Beats see if either one can take a look. In the meantime if you do not have debugging on turn in on so we can have a report. Maybe it can show if something is wrong.

>Tools>Options in the Debugging section enable debugging logs.

Got you three logs to look at - one just from booting it up after turning logging on, one from booting it up in a session during which I tried to map the controls(and left one button remapped on controller P2), then a third for starting it up after making those efforts.

Debug 2020-03-24 09-49-01 PM.log Debug 2020-03-24 09-46-08 PM.log Debug 2020-03-24 09-44-42 PM.log

Could you go into Device Manager and find your controller in the Human Interface Devices and tell me what your Hardware Id's are?

Then go into Control Panel > Devices and tell me if you see it there and what category it is in. If possible right click and tell me if there is a "Game Controller Settings". If there is go in there and there should be a tab that allows you to test the inputs, could you confirm that pressing the buttons on the physical device lights up the correct corresponding button in that window?

IF Windows recognizes the two sides as separate controllers worth doing it for both. Also worth making sure pressing one side doesn't affect the other in that window.

26 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Could you go into Device Manager and find your controller in the Human Interface Devices and tell me what your Hardware Id's are?

Then go into Control Panel > Devices and tell me if you see it there and what category it is in. If possible right click and tell me if there is a "Game Controller Settings". If there is go in there and there should be a tab that allows you to test the inputs, could you confirm that pressing the buttons on the physical device lights up the correct corresponding button in that window?

IF Windows recognizes the two sides as separate controllers worth doing it for both. Also worth making sure pressing one side doesn't affect the other in that window.

Hardware IDs

P1(I think):
HID\VID_046D&PID_C52B&REV_2401&MI_01&Col02
HID\VID_046D&PID_C52B&MI_01&Col02
HID\VID_046D&UP:000C_U:0001
HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_CONSUMER
HID_DEVICE_UP:000C_U:0001
HID_DEVICE

P2(I think):
HID\VID_04F3&PID_01A4&REV_0917&MI_01&Col03
HID\VID_04F3&PID_01A4&MI_01&Col03
HID\VID_04F3&UP:000C_U:0001
HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_CONSUMER
HID_DEVICE_UP:000C_U:0001
HID_DEVICE

I already tested the inputs as you recommend while troubleshooting(mentioned it in response to one of Retro808's posts - the one where I mention discovering my single miswired button on P2).

That said, I checked it again anyway(because it never hurts to be sure!), and got the same results. No issues, no buttons from one side triggering on the other.

Okay, so... Since I needed to re-import several of my collections due to a mistake anyway, and it's been a while since any new advice was posted(no, I am NOT upset or criticizing - I understand that even under the current worldwide situation we all have personal lives to worry about), I decided to go nuclear and uninstall and reinstall Launchbox.

Aaaaaand it worked. For the previous tips about removing the settings files to have not worked, but a complete reinstall to have the done the trick, something must have REALLY gotten borked during the initial installation, and I have nowhere near enough knowledge to speculate on how.

So now I just need to worry about what route to take when it comes to hardware upgrades. I'm still uncertain if this PC is worth utilizing long-term and no one gave any advice in reply to my previous request.

Edited by FormulaFox