LaunchBox Community Forums

Advice on build

jlister

I have a machine i built back in 2013 with the socket 1150 chipset and have launchbox running on it.  Spec is

pentium g3220 
gigabye h87m-g43 motherboard
onboard graphics
400w psu
8gb ddr3 ram
1TB hdd

i saw a couple of great vids on youtube by eta prime and simply austin, so added a gtx 1050 ti card to replace the onboard graphics only issue is the card height is bigger than my current case so thinking of replacing it with a thermaltake v21 case and also replacing the cpu with a i5 4690, do you think that will be good enough to cover emulators up to ps3, xbox 360?  Or would it be cheaper to buy an old dell optiplex and put the spare ram and gtx 1050 in it ? I dont want to play latest pc games just emulators up to xbox 360 era max.

thanks in advance

25 minutes ago, jlister said:

I dont want to play latest pc games just emulators up to xbox 360 era max.

Thing is most new games will require the same sort of graphics power as the ps3 and xbox 360 emulators do, ( and to be fair the emulators may need more power than new games, and also neither of those emulators are ready for prime time yet). I used to have a GTX 1060 6GB card paired with a i5 3570k and some PS3 stuff ran somewhat OK, other stuff was a complete no go, i also tried Red Dead Redemption on the 360 emulator and that ran at about 15 frames a second. This as i say with a 1060, which is more powerful obviously than a 1050 TI.

Obviously your mileage may vary depending on the games you want to play, but i feel you are being a little over optimistic here with the platforms to run with that GPU, and even more so when you consider how new and buggy those systems emulators currently are.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Thing is most new games will require the same sort of graphics power as the ps3 and xbox 360 emulators do, ( and to be fair the emulators may need more power than new games, and also neither of those emulators are ready for prime time yet). I used to have a GTX 1060 6GB card paired with a i5 3570k and some PS3 stuff ran somewhat OK, other stuff was a complete no go, i also tried Red Dead Redemption on the 360 emulator and that ran at about 15 frames a second. This as i say with a 1060, which is more powerful obviously than a 1050 TI.

Obviously your mileage may vary depending on the games you want to play, but i feel you are being a little over optimistic here with the platforms to run with that GPU, and even more so when you consider how new and buggy those systems emulators currently are.

Thanks for the quick reply

the video i watched was here

i just want something to run games at 1080p, the g3220 wont even run xenia as it doesnt have avc instructions, hence thinking of the cpu upgrade. But watching the vid again he mentions xbox at the beginning but doesnt include any footage.   Im happy with just mame, and the old computers, mame and older consoles, would have been nice to have xbox and 360 but can live without it if a cpu upgrade wont help on that.  Sounds like i just need a new case and in the future will think about upgrading to beefier system. Hopefully didnt waste money on gtx1050 as i cant imagine onboard graphics would have let me play the wii/wii u

2 hours ago, jlister said:

Unfortunately you won't get most of the modern (post 2000) systems' games to run with those PC specs. Based on my own personal experience, even with my i7, 16gb ram, Nvidia 750GTX, it's barely able to play PS3 games and I get mixed results with Wii U and 3DS. Granted, these emulators have come a very long way and are getting better very quickly, but they are meant to be played with a "gamer" PC more than anything else. Although there are a few emulators out there which are very well optimized for even the slower/older computers people may be using, including redream, ppsspp, and dolphin. If I were you, I'd wait another year or so to upgrade properly, until these emulators "mature" a bit and get the bugs worked out, especially the xbox and xbox 360 ones.