LaunchBox Community Forums

the point of a Horizont.ini in mame

floodie

hi Guys - I have a vertical.ini, a mame.ini,  and a Horizont.ini....  I created Vertical, and Horizonal ini files to add the small line of using a generic bezel for when either orientation game is loaded AND has no bezel.. however, i can just put this artwork line into the Mame.ini file as if the game isnt a vertical game it must be a horizonal, and therefore just read the Mame.ini instead - leaving no need for Horizont.ini

Or am i missing something here?

Edited by floodie

What you're doing makes perfect sense.  The order of precedence loads mame.ini 1st, then horizontal or vertical depending on monitor orientation.  So ya, put all your horizontal info in mame.ini, delete horizontal.ini and then keep vertical.ini for those vertical games.

There may be some minor nuances as to why they're separated out.  But really, the only reason to keep both orientation files would be to satisfy your innate obsessive complex disorder. :) 

haha thanks for your eloquent reply :) - much appreciated.

Now, if i can wrack yours or any in the audiences brains one last time.... What do you guys do when you apply HLSL and it darkens some games?.. I love the look, curved screen etc, however i pop SS2T on and its just about ok, Ken is abit bright white, it SHOULD be turned down a tad however when i pop on Ultimate MK3 its dark.. and so are many other games... What the hell do i do to make sure all games are the right brightness / contrast / gamma (or whatever it is).. nightmare

For creating different settings for different games (as in, one size DOESN'T fit all), you'll need to create a System ini for the "off" games.   So, you wouldn't need one for SS2T as it's 'just about ok'.  But for Ultimate MK3 you'd create "umk3.ini" with the brighter settings you desire.  

This process in itself would be a nightmare though.  Plan B is find a setting that just about fits all.:D

yeah i had thought of that, and hoped it just effected Umk3 but it effects others too... i have over 2000 and damned if i am going through all and writing a new ini for each.. wow.. could you imagine... 

I have been trying to find a middle ground but thats impossible.. my test games are SSF2T, Killer instinct, and UMK3... its impossible to get all 3 where they are kind of acceptable... SF and Ki work well together but when i up the brightness etc to cater for UMK the other 2 look ridiculously bright.. 

Is there any kind of HLSL which really is a middle ground?.. i was wondering if its due to Keymasks making things dull within HLSL... or should i try GLSL?.. ive no idea.. so frustrating

Some do save.  Some don't. :D  For example Cubic and Quadric Distortion won't.  But base settings like "hstretch" and "vstretch" will [to the rom_name.cfg file].  And I'm not sure if in your plugin.ini file you have to have writeconfig = 1 (turned on).    How's that for adding more muck to the mix? xD

• 3 years later...

Hi guys can anyone help me out?  Yes, modifying the vertical and horizontal stretch sliders in game and then exiting the games saves those parameters.  Here's the thing, i don't wanna do that for each single game separately.  That said, my H and V stretch parameters would be the same for Horizontal and a bit different for vertical games.  I think horizont.ini and vertical.ini is the solution but it's unclear what exactly must be in them and their exact location where those ini's must be.  For example, here is the code for Aliens, with modified H and V slider parameters:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- This file is autogenerated; comments and unknown tags will be stripped -->
<mameconfig version="10">
    <system name="aliens">
        <counters>
            <coins index="0" number="3" />
        </counters>
        <video>
            <screen index="0" hstretch="0.984000" vstretch="0.976000" />
        </video>
    </system>
</mameconfig>

this file is to be found in the cfg folder (So not an ini file) and you can see the h and v stretch values.  But this is for a single game. I'd like to apply these exact parameters to all horizontal games at once.

Thanks