LaunchBox Community Forums

Turn off automatic renaming of media when changing a game title?

Warped Polygon

All media for LaunchBox to load needs to correspond to your game title name. If you change the file to the name of the rom and that ISN'T the title used in LaunchBox you will break things and not get displayed properly. Because of that no, there is no way to stop this as it would make your artwork unusable.

Media can be the title or the ROM name.  My entire MAME media set is the ROM name as well as my Pinball media. I have never had any issues with it picking up the media properly.  However, like Normchomsky noted, if you mess at all with title in edit dialog window it will update the media to LB title format (i.e., title with sequence number).  Like C-Beats noted, you cannot stop this behavior currently, although it has come up as a request (albeit a low polled/requested one). 

Admittedly, it is mostly with MAME where this come up with monthly media update packs in rom naming format.  With Pinball, the LB media DB isn't really setup for Pinball media, so again an edge case where media is typically provided outside LB in table/ROM format naming.  Not really the case for most other use cases. 

Edited by sundogak
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 6:19 AM, sundogak said:

Media can be the title or the ROM name.  My entire MAME media set is the ROM name as well as my Pinball media. I have never had any issues with it picking up the media properly.  However, like Normchomsky noted, if you mess at all with title in edit dialog window it will update the media to LB title format (i.e., title with sequence number).  Like C-Beats noted, you cannot stop this behavior currently, although it has come up as a request (albeit a low polled/requested one). 

Admittedly, it is mostly with MAME where this come up with monthly media update packs in rom naming format.  With Pinball, the LB media DB isn't really setup for Pinball media, so again an edge case where media is typically provided outside LB in table/ROM format naming.  Not really the case for most other use cases. 

That's exactly what I mean. The reason for wanting to use the ROM name for the artwork is so I can change the name of the games and keep the filenames of the media the same. As I like to use LB as a database for my SBC's, ubiquitous file naming is essential. 

So an example of where I'd find this useful: For 2 and 4 game variants that appear together in a playlist or wherever, being able to change the game name to show which is which in the game title, without making my media useless outside of LB.

However I have just had a brain moment.......simply put your media into LB after you have done your game renaming. This avoids having to correct media filenames as you change game names, which is long. But this means having prior knowledge of this, so I hope the guys give the option, after they work down the list. It's the little nuances.    

Edited by normchomsky
Type O

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...