LaunchBox Community Forums

NES XML Problems

RevJoe98

Hey guys, 

I downloaded a NES rom set and added it to LB. I HAVE LOGOS FOR DINNER, But a lot are just weird file names. None of them play, bit when I click on them, the info says .XML file and not zip. I don't know what went wrong. I had nestropia and RA, but now use RA inside of LB for the new games. I have zip files for the new games but not sure what to do. 

28 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

Hey guys, 

I downloaded a NES rom set and added it to LB. I HAVE LOGOS FOR DINNER, But a lot are just weird file names. None of them play, bit when I click on them, the info says .XML file and not zip. I don't know what went wrong. I had nestropia and RA, but now use RA inside of LB for the new games. I have zip files for the new games but not sure what to do. 

You post is a bit confusing as you say you click on them and the info show xml not zip, but you say you have zip files for the games. If you right click a game in LB and choose edit what does the rom path show you are pointing to? An xml file or a zip? If xml then that is your issue. You need to point to the zip.

Maybe some pics would help see what is up.

Right click a game and share that main screen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevJoe98 said:

image.thumb.png.7634c6df50fd64780044ec584b058715.png

Not sure where you got your roms from but imported the wrong files. You need to delete them and import only the zip files. How did you import your files? Did you drop all the roms into that folder and then have LB scan an import the folder?

• Unusual Gem 1

Yes, I had LB scan and import then. My arcade, Genesis, and Snes work, but these went weird. How do I delete all of the nes games (while leaving my other games) so I can try it again? Thank you for your help!

Edited by RevJoe98

Looks right although the path to your retroarch.exe I have seen be an issue before. I would try clicking the browse button and searching for the exe path again so it shows the full path and see if that helps.

Do your games play if you launch them directly in Retroarch without using Launchbox?

• Unusual Gem 1

2 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

Ok, I'll try that. I can't get RA to play nes games by itself. I've tried to load the content and I've scanned the directory, and I've even gone to load a single game and it says it failed to find Item or something like that

If your games dont work in Retroarch they will never work from Launchbox. You want to concentrate on just retroarch at the moment. What files are in the zips you are trying to load?

• Unusual Gem 1

4 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

So does that mean these roms are bad or can't be played on LB?

They are "MAME Software List" roms, they will only work in MAME as they are packaged specifically for that emulator and wont work with any other emulator. If i was you i would look for a new set, preferably a "no-intro" one. NES games should be single files with the extension .nes.

image.thumb.png.3f4b6a4ccfa7459d855040f6eba597eb.png

• Like 1