LaunchBox Community Forums

Why do so many of my ROMs not work in MAME

tangodown

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

Sorry, forum rules prohibit that. Shouldn't be hard to find googling.

I have googled it. You try typing qsound_hle file download into google and you will see that its not easy to find. If you do find it can you please direct me to it.

Thanks headrush69 So that got rid of the error message, but now when I try to run the game the emulator just crashes. I would rather have an error code so I know what the problem is, haha

It can't be my PC, I have a 8 Core X series processor and plenty of ram ect.. hmmmm?

49 minutes ago, tangodown said:

when I try to run the game the emulator just crashes. I would rather have an error code so I know what the problem is, haha

It can't be my PC, I have a 8 Core X series processor and plenty of ram ect.. hmmmm?

I can't speak for using MAME32UI, but with standard MAME you can run from a command prompt in verbose mode to see error messages.

Without anything to go, no way of knowing the issue.

mame64.exe -v game

3 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

I can't speak for using MAME32UI, but with standard MAME you can run from a command prompt in verbose mode to see error messages.

Without anything to go, no way of knowing the issue.

I'm not using mame32ui anymore. I have mame64 .220 now. 

How do I run in command prompt verbose mode please

Edited by tangodown

1 minute ago, tangodown said:

I'm not using mame32ui anymore. I have mame64 .220

Type cmd in the WIndows 10 search bar and hit return and it should open a command prompt.

Type cd + a space and then drag your mame folder into that window. hit return.

Now type mame64.exe -v gamename and hit return. (change gamename to your game)

18 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

Type cmd in the WIndows 10 search bar and hit return and it should open a command prompt.

Type cd + a space and then drag your mame folder into that window. hit return.

Now type mame64.exe -v gamename and hit return. (change gamename to your game)

Hahaha, the game actually ran when I tried this the first time, but no sound. I then exited the game, selected all the text but when I right clicked a whole lot of files started running down the screen. When it stopped I tried to run the game again. Now the game won't run anymore. Now, I'm not sure weather the text had anything to do with this, it may have just been copied text, and the game wouldn't have run again anyway. But isn't that strange?

Screenshot (21).png

Screenshot (22).png

Right clicking pastes in the command prompt, after high lighting you have to use the control - C keystroke to copy.

Somehow you have a permission issue. There can be a lot of reason for this and I'm not sure now easy it would be to try to narrow it down using forum posts. Maybe someone more comfortable walking through the process in an easy way can chime in.

For now, you can try this: Fixing permissions

Edited by Headrush69

6 hours ago, tangodown said:

Hahaha, the game actually ran when I tried this the first time, but no sound. I then exited the game, selected all the text but when I right clicked a whole lot of files started running down the screen. When it stopped I tried to run the game again. Now the game won't run anymore. Now, I'm not sure weather the text had anything to do with this, it may have just been copied text, and the game wouldn't have run again anyway. But isn't that strange?

Screenshot (21).png

Screenshot (22).png

Then why in this first image is it looking in the system32 folder for something, and then flashing up a big "this app does not work with your PC" warning box?

I actually got the wrong game after all that. It doesn't matter though because I still learnt alot about roms ect.

The game I wanted is called Street Fighter Alpha 2. Is there a rom for that. 

Just on this ssf2t its very low res, does anybody know how to up the res? It looks like its only 384 x224

Thanks for all the great help by the way. Its much appreciated. 

IMG_4198.jpg

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Then why in this first image is it looking in the system32 folder for something, and then flashing up a big "this app does not work with your PC" warning box?

Its a little out of my depth, but I think the command prompt starts in c:\ by default. You can see that I change the directory to d:\ which is the second drive with my games in it. Windows is of course on C:\

6 minutes ago, tangodown said:

I actually got the wrong game after all that. It doesn't matter though because I still learnt alot about roms ect.

The game I wanted is called Street Fighter Alpha 2. Is there a rom for that. 

Just on this ssf2t its very low res, does anybody know how to up the res? It looks like its only 384 x224

Thanks for all the great help by the way. Its much appreciated. 

IMG_4198.jpg

You cant upscale MAME games, MAME is all about accuracy, games will run at whatever resolution the original cabinet ran at.

Right. Thanks for that. Do you know where to get sfa2?

I checked the same place that I got ssf2t but its not there. I did find it somewhere else but it was very small on my screen. An arcade version would be the one.

Edited by tangodown

5 minutes ago, tangodown said:

Right. Thanks for that. Do you know where to get sfa2?

I checked the same place that I got ssf2t but its not there. I did find it somewhere else but it was very small on my screen. An arcade version would be the one.

As i have already said to you twice in this thread, downloading random roms is a recipe for disaster. You should really just get a fullset then you know you have everything you actually need for the games to run correctly. MAME is not a case of just downloading a rom and playing it like other systems. Roms will rely on files that may also be in what seem like completely unrelated game zips. As they were often on the same hardware boards they use a Parent structure, take for example Street Fighter 2, in order to run the Championship edition version you also need the original version as most of the data is in that rom still, only the actual differences are in the championship edition rom. You also need bios files that may be in the parent rom and not the clone rom.

11 hours ago, neil9000 said:

As i have already said to you twice in this thread, downloading random roms is a recipe for disaster. You should really just get a fullset then you know you have everything you actually need for the games to run correctly. MAME is not a case of just downloading a rom and playing it like other systems. Roms will rely on files that may also be in what seem like completely unrelated game zips. As they were often on the same hardware boards they use a Parent structure, take for example Street Fighter 2, in order to run the Championship edition version you also need the original version as most of the data is in that rom still, only the actual differences are in the championship edition rom. You also need bios files that may be in the parent rom and not the clone rom.

Ok thanks neil9000, I understand now. But how do I know if a rom set has Street Fighter Alpha 2 in it before I get it. So is "MAME 0.220 ROMs (merged)" a full rom set? And what if the game I want is not in it. Is there a way to find a rom set with the games I want in it, or is it just a case of scrolling down each one until you find one that has the games in it the you want. 

Edited by tangodown