LaunchBox Community Forums

Pause, Mame and Save and Load help

vaderag

So I just set up the pause screen and high scores in LB and removed autosave to get the latter to work

So I've set up the save keys in MAME but when I try and save via LB pause screen nothing works

So I turned that off and found that when I hit a save key I get a prompt to select a save location but the list is blank with nothing to select except "Return to Machine" so I get an error that file not saved. "Error: Failed to open file for save operation"

Assuming this is why it's not working from the pause screen too

I haven't changed anything else as autosave was working fine before

Anyone able to help?

(Side point, should I have the pause key set in both MAME and LB or only in one - they seem to be conflicting a little and it varies which one takes precedence)

Thanks!!

2 hours ago, vaderag said:

So I just set up the pause screen and high scores in LB and removed autosave to get the latter to work

So I've set up the save keys in MAME but when I try and save via LB pause screen nothing works

So I turned that off and found that when I hit a save key I get a prompt to select a save location but the list is blank with nothing to select except "Return to Machine" so I get an error that file not saved. "Error: Failed to open file for save operation"

Assuming this is why it's not working from the pause screen too

I haven't changed anything else as autosave was working fine before

Anyone able to help?

(Side point, should I have the pause key set in both MAME and LB or only in one - they seem to be conflicting a little and it varies which one takes precedence)

Thanks!!

If you enable high score feature in LB it will disable save states. It is a measure to prevent cheating on high scores that get reported for uploading to the community.
If you want to use save states you would have to disable to high score feature in your LB settings.

47 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

If you enable high score feature in LB it will disable save states. It is a measure to prevent cheating on high scores that get reported for uploading to the community.
If you want to use save states you would have to disable to high score feature in your LB settings.

Oh, it said in the description that you needed to disable autosave as it might not register the score but nothing about disabling save entirely.

If it's disabling save why does the LB pause screen still offer those options?

1 minute ago, vaderag said:

Oh, it said in the description that you needed to disable autosave as it might not register the score but nothing about disabling save entirely.

If it's disabling save why does the LB pause screen still offer those options?

It still offers it as it is coded into the Pause feature. In order to not have it show on the Pause Menu you would have to delete the AHK script that makes it work. When an AHK is present in the Save State and Load State tabs it tells LB / BB to have the option listed in the Pause Menu.

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 8.11.37 AM.png

5 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

It still offers it as it is coded into the Pause feature. In order to not have it show on the Pause Menu you would have to delete the AHK script that makes it work. When an AHK is present in the Save State and Load State tabs it tells LB / BB to have the option listed in the Pause Menu.

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 8.11.37 AM.png

Oh okay, so if I just clear that it'll go?

Also with pause, should I be disabling the pause key in MAME istelf?

44 minutes ago, vaderag said:

Oh okay, so if I just clear that it'll go?

Also with pause, should I be disabling the pause key in MAME istelf?

Correct. I would save the script somewhere in case you ever want to go back to using Save/Load states. You will need that back in the tabs to work.

You should not need to disable pause in Mame. My bindings in LB/BB and Mame match and there is no issue with it working.