LaunchBox Community Forums

Synology DS1819+ NAS performance with Launchbox / BigBox

cleverest

Hi Everyone, I'm not trying to brag here, but I'll be acquiring one of these nice NAS's soon;  I want to seriously expand my current 8TB LaunchBox collection to something even more jaw-dropping. (among other storage needs). I realize there is a performance hit with NAS vs. running on a local machine, but I'm hoping I can still make it perform well enough...

Does anyone use this specific NAS with growing their Retro gaming collection? The ultimate goal is to have the biggest, most ridiculously complete collection running LB/BB as humanely known in all 9 planets, but I'm curious what the performance on this specific NAS is and perhaps some steps to set it up and optimize it, if you would be so kind.

Thank you!

Edited by cleverest
spelling, etc

28 minutes ago, zetec-s-joe said:

Intrested to see how your collection turns out, like myself I know how long you've been working on it

I know someone who ran a Synology in there massive arcade cabinet. it was perfect from what i saw

Goodluck mate

Thank you. I'll be sure to post how it goes/runs. ?

• Game On 1

@cleverestWhen I initially setup on a Synology 1815+, LB performance wasn't very good and I ditched it as primary and went back to a local HD with the Synology as backup (had a few spare WD Reds from NAS upgrade anyway).  I could just be impatient, but the wheel scrolling in BB was just too laggy with a full install on the NAS.  Now I hadn't at that time come across the LB cache trick on an SSD option, so it might have improved if I tried that since it is the image response that you tend to notice versus a game time loading.  I also haven't tried it on the 1819+ that replaced the 1815+ (dreaded Intel Atom CPU bug killed it) and has a 10Gb network card.  If keep the LB install local including images/videos, and just feed game media from the NAS then the NAS option should work fine, particularly for the non-CD era games.  I have seen some other folks post with a NAS install and they are happy with it, so I think it just depends a lot on expectations of speed.

Edited by sundogak

1 hour ago, sundogak said:

@cleverestWhen I initially setup on a Synology 1815+, LB performance wasn't very good and I ditched it as primary and went back to a local HD with the Synology as backup (had a few spare WD Reds from NAS upgrade anyway).  I could just be impatient, but the wheel scrolling in BB was just too laggy with a full install on the NAS.  Now I hadn't at that time come across the LB cache trick on an SSD option, so it might have improved if I tried that since it is the image response that you tend to notice versus a game time loading.  I also haven't tried it on the 1819+ that replaced the 1815+ (dreaded Intel Atom CPU bug killed it) and has a 10Gb network card.  If keep the LB install local including images/videos, and just feed game media from the NAS then the NAS option should work fine, particularly for the non-CD era games.  I have seen some other folks post with a NAS install and they are happy with it, so I think it just depends a lot on expectations of speed.

Good points...I guess I will just have to try it. ?

• 6 months later...

So...finally going to get this NAS after months of an unfortunate delay. Hoping to have it within 2 weeks of this post unless something else goes wrong...

I can't wait to test  Games & Media on NAS connected over LAN to my main system, and WIFI to the rest of my house. I get the idea from other posts that WIFI may not provide the performance needs, but hoping I can upgrade/tweak that somehow, if not I'll have to figure something else out...I just really want my collection to be able to be shared across the home, and to grow in size too...having everything be uniform would be amazing.

Is anyone else using a Synology NAS for this?  What did you need to do in DSM to set it up to work? This is my first NAS, so any step by step/tutorial advice for setting up my Launchbox share would be most appreciated. It's currently on an 8TB hard drive but will be moved over to the NAS to live ASAP. (errr copied I guess, I'll keep the external in a closet)

also, if the delay is mostly in BIGBOX causing issues with NAS/WIFI, then I'll just use LaunchBox view on all systems...however that would be done....fine with me...if that really improves it.

Edited by cleverest

I've decided to go with the DS1621+ instead, it has an AMD CPU rated at double the performance of the previous Intel Atom processor models. I'll be adding 16GB of ECC memory to add to the existing 4GB ECC, to make it a total of 20GB

I will be building a LB collection larger than 8TB on it (starting with that as my base), and will be testing performance of how this works over a 1GB LAN network to my WIRED desktop as well as wireless computers upstairs in my home. If anyone is interested on updates on how this goes, I'll make another thread after I spend some time with it.

• Game On 2

• 2 weeks later...

For the 1819+ or 1621+ (models that use DSM 6), it only allows EXT4 or Btrfs as file system for internal drives.  I recommend Btrfs over EXT4 if for nothing else, the fast copy/cloning of folders ability over EXT4.  I have that setup on my 1817+ and 1819+ and works well.  SMB encryption is off by default unless checked under File Services, Advanced settings. 

Also the Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR) over RAID 5 provides some additional future flexibility but with the same features as RAID 5. Particularly for the larger 6 and 8-bay models.  Your decision on file system and RAID type is pretty much fixed once setup up in Storage Manager unless you backup and nuke the storage pool for the whole NAS. That takes substantial amount of time with large drive setups.