LaunchBox Community Forums

Neo Geo Games not opening

squaretac

I know this subject has been discussed many times, and I have read just about all of the threads with people having similar issues with Neo Geo. Unfortunately, after reviewing all of the previous threads I am still unable to get this to work
. I am using the Latest version of Launchbox 64 bit with Windows 10 64 bit and RetroArch 64 bit. I followed the steps in the ETA Prime video and have had no luck. I did try importing the Neo Geo games using 'SNK Neo Geo MVS' platform and everything installed properly and is working. However, if I try and create my own platform name "Neo Geo" and scrap with Arcade (like mentioned in the ETA Prime video) using the Name Neo Geo with the custom emulation section, and using the Retoemulation Path of "Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe" and then using the associated platform -L "cores\fbalpha2012_neogeo_libretro.dll" the Neo Geo games will not open. In fact, nothing happens with I try to run the game. 

FYI, I am not using images currently because I am trying to get the games to run first. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.a707e0c56f11165878242018298c1d72.jpgUntitled-2.thumb.jpg.51541d532b6d3547538026959d35f9da.jpgUntitled-3.thumb.jpg.62e86153065ac3122e37f0b7860a3793.jpgUntitled-4.thumb.jpg.c796d7631e047cf6d72c9f76f08dc862.jpgUntitled-5.thumb.jpg.0a3c9c8cda2ccd0ae4860e566e2c3b0a.jpgUntitled-6.thumb.jpg.e041883e0f202e7efff4a02d8df463ab.jpg

Edited by squaretac

I avoid Retroarch entirely, and am currently using MAME for my NeoGeo emulation needs.

Let me know if you're interested for advice/tips on how to use MAME to emulate NeoGeo instead. Doesn't matter if it's MVS or AES.

On 5/8/2020 at 2:30 AM, squaretac said:

Hi MCF,

Yes. Please point me in the right direction. 

Retroarch is easy to set up. No need to avoid it.

First thing to always determine, do your games work if you run them directly in Retroach?

1: If you are using Retroarch you need to call the emulator Retroarch or you will not get the correct Associated Platform screen. So change the emulator name from Neo Geo to Retroarch.

2: Once you fix that your Associate Platforms screen will look like below. In the associated platforms team you no longer enter the core command line you simply click to drop down box and select the core.

3: Always make sure the name you have showing for the platform name in LaunchBox you enter that name exactly in the Associate Platforms tab. So if your games are in the platform SNK Neo Geo MVS then the associate platforms tab needs to show exactly SNK Neo Neo MVS (these cannot differ from each other). If your games are in the Neo Geo platform you enter Neo Geo in the associated platforms tab.

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 8.27.59 PM.png

Mame Set-up:
If you want to use Mame it is just as simple as Retroarch. 1. Open Mame and in the UI add the directory path to your roms location. 2. Make sure you have the correct bios file(s) as well. The bios goes in the roms folder or anywhere you want as long as you add the folder path to Mame.  3. Test the games in mame to make sure they work. 3. Add Mame as an emulator to LaunchBox (If you do not already have it - If you do just go to step 4). 4. In LB Edit the Associated Platforms tab for Mame and add the exact name of your NeoGeo platform. 5. Group select all your Neo Geo games and edit them changing the emulator to Mame since you already have them pointing to Retroarch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 2:30 PM, squaretac said:

Hi MCF,

Yes. Please point me in the right direction. 

This is my MAME settings for NeoGeo (please ignore those other associated platforms)

pMy6mHv.jpg

The BIOS file neogeo.zip needs to be in the ROMS folder in your MAME directory. You can look around online for it.

-bios unibios32 is not mandatory, it's only used if you want to use Universe BIOS (see http://unibios.free.fr/)

Please ensure all your NeoGeo ROMs follow MAME's naming convetions, i.e. Samurai Shodown must be samsho.zip, Fatal Fury is fatfury1.zip, and so on and so forth.

On 5/7/2020 at 8:06 PM, squaretac said:

I know this subject has been discussed many times, and I have read just about all of the threads with people having similar issues with Neo Geo. Unfortunately, after reviewing all of the previous threads I am still unable to get this to work
. I am using the Latest version of Launchbox 64 bit with Windows 10 64 bit and RetroArch 64 bit. I followed the steps in the ETA Prime video and have had no luck. I did try importing the Neo Geo games using 'SNK Neo Geo MVS' platform and everything installed properly and is working. However, if I try and create my own platform name "Neo Geo" and scrap with Arcade (like mentioned in the ETA Prime video) using the Name Neo Geo with the custom emulation section, and using the Retoemulation Path of "Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe" and then using the associated platform -L "cores\fbalpha2012_neogeo_libretro.dll" the Neo Geo games will not open. In fact, nothing happens with I try to run the game. 

FYI, I am not using images currently because I am trying to get the games to run first. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Hey I had the same problem at start with Retroarch, but in the end got it working. Ensure you have the correct bios and place them in the same folder of your roms and also in the System folder of Retroarch.

Test inside Retroarch first and when you got them working there go try in Launchbox.