LaunchBox Community Forums

Time to change to LCD (Mame cabinet gamers) ?

Hello all,

I have a custom cabinet for about 10 years with a old but still working CRT TV 26", play 100% mame games from 70-80-90's .  Summer arrive, and I have a LCD HD 42" available.  

What should I do ?

Pro's to change to HD LCD:

A-May have more information readable on screen with launchbox theme (Better resolution).  Could be fun to read information about games

B-May able to add virtual bezel (right and left), which can be VERY cool for visual experience.  I see some cabinet build like that!

C-Ligth weight the cabinet (Not sure actually if this is good).  More easy to move though

Con's to change to HD LCD

D-Very afraid of visual experience, heard ther is simulation of scanlines, but no experience at all.  How good it is ?  Easy to setup ?

E-May take less depth

Sure my main question is question D...I know CRT with little curve TV is the best...!

I’d keep the CRT myself for that authentic look and feel. Too bad you can’t have an LCD bezel up top with all of the game info. I know you can have the LCD bezel but I’m not sure if I formation can be displayed on it other than an image. 

If you have the CRT and it still is working for you then keep it.  When i built my cabinet two years ago now i went with a 27" 1440p freesync monitor and have been very happy with the results since i did want to play modern widescreen games along with the classics. Using shaders and bezels in mame really is a must but the freesync and low input lag do make a difference. I would stick to the crt especially if your using lightguns. I did get lightguns working with my monitor but you need to stand in the same spot every time to keep good accuracy. 

On 5/21/2020 at 9:18 PM, twobucks said:

If you have the CRT and it still is working for you then keep it.  When i built my cabinet two years ago now i went with a 27" 1440p freesync monitor and have been very happy with the results since i did want to play modern widescreen games along with the classics. Using shaders and bezels in mame really is a must but the freesync and low input lag do make a difference. I would stick to the crt especially if your using lightguns. I did get lightguns working with my monitor but you need to stand in the same spot every time to keep good accuracy. 

Lightguns are coming back https://www.sindenlightgun.com/