LaunchBox Community Forums

Some ROMS not working

trinity

Not sure how to ask this!

Some games do not work when clicked on.

However, if I click on the game and get the menu a list of several versions appear, world, usa, japan, etc. 95% of the time one of those listed will work!!!

How do you make the working version the default when you click on the game?

Also, why are there several versions and why do some not work and others do?

7 hours ago, trinity said:

Not sure how to ask this!

Some games do not work when clicked on.

However, if I click on the game and get the menu a list of several versions appear, world, usa, japan, etc. 95% of the time one of those listed will work!!!

Is this for Mame? By not working what do you mean? Do you get an error or does it just go black and return to LaunchBox? Did you test the games in the emulator to make sure they work? If this is Mame did you use the Mame full set importer and do you have a full mame romset?

How do you make the working version the default when you click on the game?

Right click the game, edit it and in the additional apps tab select the one you want as the default.

Also, why are there several versions and why do some not work and others do?

There are several version as games for many platforms have different versions for different regions. It can be any number of reasons why. Bad roms, missing support files, and a number of other reasons.

15 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Is this for Mame? By not working what do you mean? Do you get an error or does it just go black and return to LaunchBox? Did you test the games in the emulator to make sure they work? If this is Mame did you use the Mame full set importer and do you have a full mame romset?

Right click the game, edit it and in the additional apps tab select the one you want as the default.

There are several version as games for many platforms have different versions for different regions. It can be any number of reasons why. Bad roms, missing support files, and a number of other reasons.

In the MAME games I've not seen any error messages, they will either flash and go back to Launchbox or MAME will launch (navy blue screen) , flash and then go back to Launchbox.

The set was from archive.org. Pretty sure it was the full set. Its been several months.

The console games just flash and go back to Launchbox. No error messages. 

As to testing directly from the emulator I've not done that except for when I first started and no game worked. These were all due to incorrect settings. . So far the games that I like have all worked using  with one of the versions. The few games that didnt work have been games I didnt care for anyway.

With over 10,000 games I've obviously not tested all of them. 

15 hours ago, neil9000 said:

This sounds possibly like a mame fullset import without actually having a fullset issue. Hence only some games working, and sometimes not the parent rom.

Not sure what this means!