LaunchBox Community Forums

Chadmando's Super Pause Menu (64bit windows)

Bump for new update! Added animated gif support to backgrounds using activeX IE plugin, requested by Krakerman a while back. Semi-fixed broken platform image title option in "Customize menu -> Replace menu title with image if it exists".  When used it will look for your platforms clear logo image in \LaunchBox\Images\Platforms\[Platform Name]\Clear Logo\[Platform Name].png, jpeg, or jpg.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This plugin hasn't worked for me since v1.7.1. Newer versions are not showing up in the Tools menu. I thought it might require a newer version of LB so I waited until LB 11.10 was released, but it's still not showing up in the Tools menu after upgrading.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there! 

I really like your pause menu! But for my cabinet there is a bummer; I cant map my joystick to the menu-items. 

I am using a Xin-Mo Dual Player USB device; it works in every other emulator/launbox itself.

Normally I will get a -1/+1 and a -0/+0 for the four directions of a joystick; in your pause-menu options they are not detected if I push them.

Do you maybe got some Idea for a workaround?  ^^

THX for your time, even if you got no clue why its not working:D

On 4/10/2021 at 2:57 PM, bcpenney said:

This plugin hasn't worked for me since v1.7.1. Newer versions are not showing up in the Tools menu. I thought it might require a newer version of LB so I waited until LB 11.10 was released, but it's still not showing up in the Tools menu after upgrading.

Hello, sorry about that, Ive been working on upgrading my PC hardware for the past few months here and I took a break from this. All I gotta do is recompile the dll, and finish a couple tweaks for better compatability. It's annoying I have to recompile every single time theres a new upate. I'll recomile this weekend for you, in the future I might release the .dll source code (if Jayjay is ok woth that) so the user has the ability to recompile it if I don't get to it right away.

Edit: I'll also make clear on the newer releases what launchbox version is compatible so a person can know if they want to hold off on upgrading for a bit.

Edited by Chadmando

On 5/10/2021 at 5:09 AM, krauthaus said:

Hi there! 

I really like your pause menu! But for my cabinet there is a bummer; I cant map my joystick to the menu-items. 

I am using a Xin-Mo Dual Player USB device; it works in every other emulator/launbox itself.

Normally I will get a -1/+1 and a -0/+0 for the four directions of a joystick; in your pause-menu options they are not detected if I push them.

Hello, is your device considered and xinput device in Windows? Did you try choosing the Xinput device rather than dinput in the setting?

Edit: If its a threshold thing I can possibly lower the up down left right limits (or add an option  to change it in the next version, I have them set way higher than single digits.

Edited by Chadmando

On 5/10/2021 at 5:09 AM, krauthaus said:

Hi there! 

I realized I broke dinput support when I added multi-input support. I also never had any analog stick support for the dinput output. I just fixed this in v1.9.7, and added XY Axis analog support. Please let me know if this works for you, or if you maybe need more axis support. Thank you!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Nice job on this plugin. I have stayed with RLauncher for years because of its pause menu and SS functionality. May I ask, have you taken inspiration from RL and trying to bring its Pause screen to LB since RL is dying a slow and painful death? lol

I would like to make a feature request though, can you add a video player to this? RL Pause had that and I utilized it for walkthrough videos, it really added a nice touch to be able to not only reference the game guide but also the videos.

Edited by CtinD

19 hours ago, CtinD said:

Nice job on this plugin. I have stayed with RLauncher for years because of its pause menu and SS functionality. May I ask, have you taken inspiration from RL and trying to bring its Pause screen to LB since RL is dying a slow and painful death? lol

I would like to make a feature request though, can you add a video player to this? RL Pause had that and I utilized it for walkthrough videos, it really added a nice touch to be able to not only reference the game guide but also the videos.

Hello, thank you. Initially I was actually using emulators for the wii as my guide such as SNES9X, I really liked their interface and found it much more intuitive to be able to visually differentiate save files. I never actually used RL myself, but I came across their forums a lot when researching tricks on pausing and saving with certain emulators. When I started the pause menu, launchbox didn't have a pause menu itself, and I was desperate for one that any guest could use easily.

This has been kind of a crazy year for me, I moved about a year ago and the computer I was using to program with is still in storage. I'll try and get back to it at the end of the year or early in the new year. The next update that I was working on was going to allow you to insert any amount of game/console artwork or custom images anywhere on the screen. After that update I will see what I can do about videos, because that sounds like an excellent idea.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Chadmando said:

Hello, thank you. Initially I was actually using emulators for the wii as my guide such as SNES9X, I really liked their interface and found it much more intuitive to be able to visually differentiate save files. I never actually used RL myself, but I came across their forums a lot when researching tricks on pausing and saving with certain emulators. When I started the pause menu, launchbox didn't have a pause menu itself, and I was desperate for one that any guest could use easily.

This has been kind of a crazy year for me, I moved about a year ago and the computer I was using to program with is still in storage. I'll try and get back to it at the end of the year or early in the new year. The next update that I was working on was going to allow you to insert any amount of game/console artwork or custom images anywhere on the screen. After that update I will see what I can do about videos, because that sounds like an excellent idea.

Hey I understand and I'm sorry your PC is in storage, I lost my PC with HyperSpin  (fully configured and setup, not an easy task either) in storage back in 2017. That killed a piece of my soul even that happened. I can dig your inspiration as well. I too, have always liked the way that emus on Wii. May I make one suggestion, instead of redundantly adding the same images we already have to allow for additional artwork, why not direct the super pause to "..\\launchbox\images[and/or]\videos" and in settings select what images super pause uses. Perhaps even utilizing media, fonts, colors and menu positioning from pause themes. I'm just spit baking ideas here so that are not a request, just a way to prevent redundancies and unnecessarily using up space when we already have all the images we may want.

All that being said, I freaking love this. So so so so much. Excellent work, sire! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, 

Thank you for this fantastic plugin. What is really nice is the ability of menu to scale whatever the resolution is. 
Playing on an old CRT TV with emulators configured to output native resolutions, it's really amazing to have a readable pause menu even at 256x192 !
I only miss one thing, is there a way to call the pause menu holding a button for a certain amount of time ? For example i would like to hold on start button  for 3 second to call pause menu. 

Edit : i tried to use joytokey to put in place what i want to do but it doesn't work. Super Pause seems to be unable to capture keys sent by joytokey. In key menu if i set letter "p" in keyboard box to call pause, and then try in game to send "p" using joytokey, it doens't work. Pause menu never appear. Any help on this ? At very last being able to call pause using a combination of buttons could be nice too....

Edited by Dalba

On 10/5/2022 at 12:59 PM, Dalba said:

Hello, 

Thank you for this fantastic plugin. What is really nice is the ability of menu to scale whatever the resolution is. 
Playing on an old CRT TV with emulators configured to output native resolutions, it's really amazing to have a readable pause menu even at 256x192 !
I only miss one thing, is there a way to call the pause menu holding a button for a certain amount of time ? For example i would like to hold on start button  for 3 second to call pause menu. 

Edit : i tried to use joytokey to put in place what i want to do but it doesn't work. Super Pause seems to be unable to capture keys sent by joytokey. In key menu if i set letter "p" in keyboard box to call pause, and then try in game to send "p" using joytokey, it doens't work. Pause menu never appear. Any help on this ? At very last being able to call pause using a combination of buttons could be nice too....

Hello Dalba, sorry I missed your post! I'm at work right now, but I'll look into this for you when I get home. From what I recall I thought you could put a combination of buttons into the pause key box, just press the two at the same time after double clicking the form?

2 hours ago, Chadmando said:

Hello Dalba, sorry I missed your post! I'm at work right now, but I'll look into this for you when I get home. From what I recall I thought you could put a combination of buttons into the pause key box, just press the two at the same time after double clicking the form?

No problem ! Yesterday i was able to achieve what i wanted to do configuring correctly joytokey, so don't spend some time on this !
Though i may have something to submit to you. I noticed a strange behavior between Super Pause and Mednafen. As stated before i play on an old CRT TV using native resolution. I use a fork of mednafen named emu4crt that can output real native resolution. When playing game with mednafen and calling super pause, instead of staying at the same resolution of the current game, Super pause switch resolution back to the desktop resolution. When i resume to the game, mednafen's resolution is screwed, and i have to exit full screen and get back to fullscreen to recover the right resolution. 

It only happen with mednafen. While playing with other emulators (retroarch, dolphin, pcsx2), Super pause stay at the current emulator resolution and there's no problem when resuming to the game. 
Mednafen is the only emulator using Opengl as backend, do you think it's something related ?

1 hour ago, Dalba said:

No problem ! Yesterday i was able to achieve what i wanted to do configuring correctly joytokey, so don't spend some time on this !
Though i may have something to submit to you. I noticed a strange behavior between Super Pause and Mednafen. As stated before i play on an old CRT TV using native resolution. I use a fork of mednafen named emu4crt that can output real native resolution. When playing game with mednafen and calling super pause, instead of staying at the same resolution of the current game, Super pause switch resolution back to the desktop resolution. When i resume to the game, mednafen's resolution is screwed, and i have to exit full screen and get back to fullscreen to recover the right resolution. 

It only happen with mednafen. While playing with other emulators (retroarch, dolphin, pcsx2), Super pause stay at the current emulator resolution and there's no problem when resuming to the game. 
Mednafen is the only emulator using Opengl as backend, do you think it's something related ?

Nice, glad you got that sorted. I also pulled up the settings program, and you can use combination keyboard buttons as well.

As for mednafen, I believe I was having similar issues sometimes but I think only when I used it for Sega Master System for some reason. Which system were you using it for? The easiest solution would probably be to use retroarch instead if you can.

1 hour ago, Chadmando said:

Nice, glad you got that sorted. I also pulled up the settings program, and you can use combination keyboard buttons as well.

As for mednafen, I believe I was having similar issues sometimes but I think only when I used it for Sega Master System for some reason. Which system were you using it for? The easiest solution would probably be to use retroarch instead if you can.

I encountered this problem with every system i tried, Pc-engine, PSX, Saturn... But i ended up with the same solution as you, using Retroarch and beetle core... 
I just asked about this in case you would have find a solution... 

3 minutes ago, Dalba said:

I encountered this problem with every system i tried, Pc-engine, PSX, Saturn... But i ended up with the same solution as you, using Retroarch and beetle core... 
I just asked about this in case you would have find a solution... 

Oh damn, sorry. Have you tried forcing resolution in the pause menu settings to the CRT size? I'll take a look at it again tomorrow. I can't remember if there was a full screen borderless option with mednafen, or if that would work with your set up, but it may be worth a shot as well.

On 10/13/2022 at 5:37 PM, Chadmando said:

Oh damn, sorry. Have you tried forcing resolution in the pause menu settings to the CRT size? I'll take a look at it again tomorrow. I can't remember if there was a full screen borderless option with mednafen, or if that would work with your set up, but it may be worth a shot as well.

Sorry for delay in answer ! Forcing or not resolution in pause menu doesn't help.
But i made some extended tests and i told you some wrong things. 
I tested mednafen with Pc Engine, Saturn and Playstation.
Whatever the system, pause menu get back to desktop resolution, even if i didn't force anything in settings. BUT ! Only resume to game with Playstation system doesn't work as intended regarding game resolution. The other systems are ok (don't know why i thought this problem was with every system mednafen can play...)

With playstation system, i change mednafen's settings and set video backend to software instead of opengl. In this mode, there's no more problem resuming to game from pause menu. But there's too much slowdowns to be enjoyable...   
So in conclusion, problem exist only with playstation on opengl backend. 
But still mednafen is the only emulator where pause menu change resolution on call...