LaunchBox Community Forums

MGPR.exe games used in launchbox

Good afternoon all! I need some expert advise on how to direct start .trk files for Monaco GP remake in launchbox/bigbox? I have added mgpr.exe as an emulator and pointed the rom file to both attract/ game .trk both start and go to the .exe and you have to choose which version you wanted played. I want to start game direct without the selection menu. There are 3x different racing options Arcade, Pursuit, Stunt that I want to load separately to LB. I have configure files for each game. The maker of this great remake has this for commandline. Problem is it goes to menu, I want to just start game. The games launch great and play excellent once selected from menu I just want to eliminate that step. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mgpr -cfg pro_arcade_1360x768.cfg

Just having a quick look at this and please forgive me if I am misunderstanding something here.

I don't think you need to import the .trk files at all, I think you would just need to import the .cfg files you want but the problem I am encountering here is that there is something that MGPR doesn't like when being passed the cfg file from LB. It just wants to load a default version of the game in a tiny window and not the fullscreen actual version you tell it. I have tried all of the emulator settings combos in LB and nothing seems to work.

For now my best fix for this would be to simply make batch files for each version you want and just import those as their own separate programs rather than an emulator and roms. Not ideal but it does work.

An example batch file would look something like this but change the cfg file for each version you want to have:

mgpr -cfg classic_arcade_1280x1024.cfg

Batch files are nothing more than a simple text file which you can put one or more commands to run in a "batch". It was used back in the old days to DOS to automate a series of commands using a single command. Think of it as a super simple exe of sorts though that is kind of an over simplification.

The approach I would take here in this case would be to create a bunch of new text files in the folder where your mgpr.exe is located and name each file something that makes sense to the version of the game you are launching. For example using the above command line I gave above I would make a file called:

Classic_arcade_1280x1024.txt

Then I would open that file in notepad and put the line I posted above in my previous post and save it. From there rename the text file and change its file extension from .txt to .bat so now the file would be named:

Classic_arcade_1280x1024.bat

You can just double click it in Windows and test it out, it should load the version of the game being called via the config file.

Repeat this process for each version of the game you want to have in Launchbox but replace the cfg file being called in each batch file with the one you want to be loaded from LB.

Once you are satisfied with each batch file loading the correct version of the game you can then import the batch files into Launchbox but at the first box of the import choose the "None of the Above" option and tell Launchbox to leave the file where it is which is the same folder as your mgpr.exe.screenshot_216.thumb.jpg.a813432fe2ef97e3d4464e6829f31cbd.jpg

screenshot_217.thumb.jpg.8b29d8c0791e0e6b28062505707a1517.jpgscreenshot_218.thumb.jpg.196cb2f65409e6e9e7f8794a9f138054.jpgI hope this all makes sense.

Nice. So the first game loaded as you said but it loaded in a very small window. Do I need to put anything in the bat file to make it load fullscreen

or is that a command in LB? Also, will I have to redo all my controls, bezel W/H/X/Y etc? Thx

1 minute ago, Clavo said:

Nice. So the first game loaded as you said but it loaded in a very small window. Do I need to put anything in the bat file to make it load fullscreen

or is that a command in LB? Also, will I have to redo all my controls, bezel W/H/X/Y etc? Thx

You shouldn't need anything to make it load full screen.

If you can show me a screen shot of the batch file in notepad and edit game window you have imported into LB.

1 minute ago, Clavo said:

Sorry, I am trying to follow your steps but when I go to import not sure which to select since I typically choose roms?

Choose the none of the above option on the first import screen, you won't be using an emulator for this since you aren't passing any rom files.

screenshot_216.thumb.jpg.763f19d4a64c968ca74052219f4bad1f.jpgHere is a sample batch file I made using the above instructions, put it in your MGPR folder and double click it, it should just load up. I am also using version 1.4.6 of MGPR.

Classic_arcade_1280x1024.bat

I have set config files already set for each game version. The problem is the bat files loads the games but I guess they do not see the config folder

so the version are not correct and controls are not working. Opens up like this

Capture.PNG

5 minutes ago, Clavo said:

Thx. Thats where I am getting stuck on. I have a batch file thx to Lord Monkus not sure what to choose from once I go to import? Eric, GOG, Dos, Rom.

If you just drag and drop the file he gave you onto the Launchbox window, it will start the import wizard with the three options he showed in his image, choose the "none of the above" option. Then go through the wizard as normal and specify the platform to import the file to.

Yes! finally got it to work. I used Lord Monkus advise but I copied his command line in my config file and saved as bat then pointed to that

file from LB and it opened up and plays with all my settings. Now will repeat for all version of this game. Thank you both for all the help

and advise! Your both Rock.....

Glad you got it all working.

It is a little time consuming but not too bad to make each batch file. I wish I could have figured out why loading the cfg files as roms using the mgpr.exe as the emulator would't work because that would have simplified things a lot.