LaunchBox Community Forums

Adjust image using HLSL settings

tangodown

Hi all,

Thanks to lordmonkus for getting me to were I can start to play around with these settings.

These settings come down to personal preference. I do appreciate you sharing your settings with me but for me I don't like the scan lines and the image is quite dark. Could you please show me how to brighten the image and lose the scan lines.

The first image is the stock MAME settings. The second image below is the one I am trying to replicate. This is maybe Nicola Salmoria's from MAME 0.132 2009. I think these settings are perfect for Street Fighter II. So if somebody could please show me how to get close to these that would be fantastic. The third is the settings that lordmonkus gave me which, I think, doesn't really suit SF2. 

Screenshot (31).png

Screenshot (32).png

Screenshot (35).png

Edited by tangodown

7 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Yeah, scanlines will darken the image.

Here is the video I used to learn how to adjust settings to my preference.

Cool. Thanks again!

Do you know how to straighten the sides, so that they are not curved. I can only seem to straighten the corners by copying the video?

Edited by tangodown

2 hours ago, tangodown said:

Do you know how to straighten the sides, so that they are not curved. I can only seem to straighten the corners by copying the video?

These are the settings you'll need to mess with to fix that:

distortion                0.0
cubic_distortion          0.0
distort_corner            0.0
round_corner              0.0

If you want to try them live, fire up a game and press the ~ key. Scroll down until you find these settings and adjust them live to see the effect directly on the screen.

You can then save the settings or update the ini file.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, NightShadowPT said:

These are the settings you'll need to mess with to fix that:

distortion                0.0
cubic_distortion          0.0
distort_corner            0.0
round_corner              0.0

If you want to try them live, fire up a game and press the ~ key. Scroll down until you find these settings and adjust them live to see the effect directly on the screen.

You can then save the settings or update the ini file.

Cheers

Yep that done it. Thanks NightShadowPT.

I'm just messing around with the scanlines on my WIndows 7 machine, and as soon as I turn scanlines up to 0.25 the game stutters and goes all laggy. Seems ok on my Windows 10 machine. Weird aye

8 minutes ago, tangodown said:

Yep that done it. Thanks NightShadowPT.

I'm just messing around with the scanlines on my WIndows 7 machine, and as soon as I turn scanlines up to 0.25 the game stutters and goes all laggy. Seems ok on my Windows 10 machine. Weird aye

That sounds weird.

Does it stay laggy if you continue going up?

Are you using the same resolution in both Win7 and Win10?

10 hours ago, NightShadowPT said:

That sounds weird.

Does it stay laggy if you continue going up?

Are you using the same resolution in both Win7 and Win10?

As soon as I select 0.1 it starts going laggy. 

I will check the resolution. I copied and pasted so probably the same res as win 10

Edited by tangodown

how do I change the resolution? I don't think thats the problem. The only thing I can find is hlsl snap width 2048 and hlsl snap height 1536. I changed these to my windows 7 res but it made no difference. 

Edited by tangodown

On 6/2/2020 at 3:46 PM, tangodown said:

how do I change the resolution? I don't think thats the problem. The only thing I can find is hlsl snap width 2048 and hlsl snap height 1536. I changed these to my windows 7 res but it made no difference. 

Check your mame.ini file and play with it a bit. (remember to backup the original file in case you mess up the configuration)

• 8 months later...

weirdly this is exactly what i need to do as well.  IVe been doing all the same stuff. I know what I want as its emulated on other emus other than mame perfectly via a default or stock filter and makes fighting games look like the arcade...but with mame its a little trickier. If I sovle it ill post my file.  good luck!

Edited by WInzen

@WInzen I got the game screen bigger even between the bezels. Launch the game and then hit tab. Go to slider controls. Make sure the horiz and vert stretch and positions look like the pic below. I just have to figure out the lag with HLSL enabled.

2A386193-1B7F-4771-B4F5-544F6489194F.jpeg

Edited by midd
  • Like 1