LaunchBox Community Forums

No platforms set with Retroarch work, can anyone with some idea please help????

stevaside

Hello

I have spent a huge amount of time the past month or 2 adding & organizing more consoles/games in Launchbox & I am finally finishing up. Just one major problem though: I'm unable to play half of them! ?

Up until now I've mainly tested the systems in Retroarch itself, not playing games much, but trying to get everything ready first....also need a decent game controller which I have coming soon, I have an arcade stick I've been using in LB with MAME for the past few years, but it's just not ideal for much else

Anyways most platforms I set up with other emulators seem to work, but every single one I set as Retroarch doesn't. (PS1/N64/TG-16/2600/SNES/PC-88)

Any time I right click & hit play or double click a game in those nothing happens. I just tested all of them again in Retroarch itself & they do load that way.

Another thing to mention is I set Kat5200 as the 5200 emulator. It launches games fine on it's own, but when I click a 5200 game within LB, it just brings up some command line type window with a cursor blinking as if I'm supposed to type something? Not the regular UI I see when using Kat5200 by itself

Would really appreciate some help, sure there has to be some settings I'm overlooking

Edited by stevaside

Is it possible this is just a continuation of your issue from this thread?

Now that you changed game to use Retroarch did you select all the games in each platform and bulk edit them to now use Retroarch? Did you also select the correct cores for each platform and ensure that the platform names are showing in the Associated Platforms tab for Retroarch?

My months long work of setting up & organizing a ton of games is finally over, I just received my brand new Xbox One controller that I ordered strictly for LB & happy to say it detects it wirelessly just fine, but I cannot play more than half of the platforms because nothing set up for Retroarch works. I tested every one of them within the standalone Retroarch app & there's no issues. Folders in LB all seem to be set right...I don't know what else could be wrong & am real bummed out. Can someone please offer me some advice??

Edited by stevaside

7 minutes ago, stevaside said:

Folders in LB all seem to be set right.

If they work in retroarch, but not from Launchbox, then no they are not set right, clearly. Double check your retroarch path, make sure you have the correct core selected in associated platforms, bulk edit a platforms roms and choose retroarch as the emulator and try loading a rom.

On 5/29/2020 at 2:22 PM, Retro808 said:

Now that you changed game to use Retroarch did you select all the games in each platform and bulk edit them to now use Retroarch? Did you also select the correct cores for each platform and ensure that the platform names are showing in the Associated Platforms tab for Retroarch?

No that was something different. I was using standalone NEStopia for NES & Turboengine for TG-16 , playing them both for a month or 2  & they both stopped working until I then tried highlighting them all & switching the folder. Later I tested the other platforms  I set as Retroarch & realized none of them worked & ultimately switched the TG 16 emu to Retroarch. I did make another post regarding the Retroarch issue a few days ago though but got no response

Appreciate the fast reply here & I will try doing that now. I don't remember seeing an option to choose the core within LB but will try to figure that out now

Edited by stevaside

On 5/29/2020 at 2:22 PM, Retro808 said:

I can't find a way to set the cores for each individual platform in LB if that's what you mean, but they are all set & working in Retroarch itself

I looked under Associated Platforms & yes, all are checked that I set Retroarch to be the emulator for

29 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

If they work in retroarch, but not from Launchbox, then no they are not set right, clearly. Double check your retroarch path, make sure you have the correct core selected in associated platforms, bulk edit a platforms roms and choose retroarch as the emulator and try loading a rom.

I know that must be the case, but still cannot figure out how to set things right in LB. I went to Manage Emulators, hit Edit on Retroarch, looked under Asscoiated Platforms and all I set are checked. The only thing is a couple platforms I wound up trying 2-3 cores for within Retroarch itself & in that menu only 1 is listed in the "Default Command Line Parameters" where they are shown. I would have no idea how to change that either, looks like I wouldn't even be able to click on that or pull up a list of multiple cores to choose from. Anyways there are still several systems I have just 1 core installed for that are not working regardless (such as Stella for 2600 for example) I went & highlighted roms from a couple platforms & re-set Retroarch again though & still nothing happens when trying to play a game

30 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Please do not start new threads for the same issue. I have merged these two threads.

Sorry, yea the link in your other comment was about issues with 2 emulators other than Retroarch, but I later did post about the Retroarch issue a couple days ago. There was no repsonse & I'm just really stressed that I spent all this time & can't play over half my games....especially with the controller just coming in, I'm so anxious to get everything going

Edited by stevaside

1 hour ago, stevaside said:

Sorry, yea the link in your other comment was about issues with 2 emulators other than Retroarch, but I later did post about the Retroarch issue a couple days ago. There was no repsonse & I'm just really stressed that I spent all this time & can't play over half my games....especially with the controller just coming in, I'm so anxious to get everything going

If you do not get an answer to a post just add a new comment to it. Don't open another thread.

Post a couple pics of your Retroarch set-up. In manage emulators edit Retroarch and post a pic of:

1: The details tab

2: The associated emulators tab.

Then choose one platform you are having issues with and select one game from it that does not run. Right click and edit that game. Share a pic of that edit screen.

1: Image showing that full screen with the Launcher tab visible

2: That same screen with the Emulation tab showing.

Also for this platform tell me what core in Retroarch you used to run the game.

42 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

If you do not get an answer to a post just add a new comment to it. Don't open another thread.

Post a couple pics of your Retroarch set-up. In manage emulators edit Retroarch and post a pic of:

Then choose one platform you are having issues with and select one game from it that does not run. Right click and edit that game. Share a pic of that edit screen.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.pngI set Stella as the core in Retroarch for the 2600

Edited by stevaside

On 5/31/2020 at 9:32 PM, Retro808 said:

Well haven't heard back from you so was wondering if you got a chance to look at the pics you asked for & if it may or may not have helped anything....Also to top everything off I have a brand new issue that started today: All MAME games no longer work, the one platform I've used for years in LB & could always count on until now ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️  It's got to be where I barely have any functional platforms left, would be kinda nice to actually be able to play games through Launchbox lol

Edited by stevaside

4 minutes ago, stevaside said:

Well haven't heard back from you so was wondering if you got a chance to look at the pics you asked for & if it may or may not have helped anything....Also to top everything off I have a brand new issue that started today: All MAME games no longer work, the one platform I've used for years in LB & could always counted on until now ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️  It's got to be where I have barely any platforms left, would kinda be nice to actually play games through Launchbox lol

You seem to be breaking things by yourself, everyday???

11 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You seem to be breaking things by yourself, everyday???

Well up until a couple months ago I've mainly used Launchbox for MAME & never had any major issues as far as I remember, going back 4 years or more....So I decide to set up a ton of other platforms through Retroarch I see everyone recommending & here I am a week or 2 later with not a single one working & having to play them through Retroarch itself.  Just don't get what I'm doing wrong, I never set MAME to use it, yet that no longer works either. I'm no expert, but guessing something got corrupted?? TBH  no telling how long MAME has been down in LB for me, don't think I've played anything in it since a couple weeks back

Edited by stevaside

I'm also stuck with this issue trying to get LB running GB games with RA set up as emulator and i figured out that if i set the command line core association f.e. -L "cores\gambatte_libretro.dll" as default command-line parameter it works.

so i was trying to paste this parameter to the associated platforms tab as an extra command-line parameter per core but it didn't work - it won't save the given input in this field and hence it won't start the game. It only worked as described above, which is just a workaround for me since it would start only one core.

Maybe somebody has an idea how to solve this and maybe steveaside will get the same behavior...

2020-06-05 064042.png

Edited by jabbar01
pic insert

okay now i figured out the problem as i read in another thread - the associated platform tab had the core called "Game Boy Color" and no "Game Boy" entry so i added a line strictly for GB and the same core and it works flawless and updated all games with the correct parameter.