LaunchBox Community Forums

Running Amstrad CPC in RetroArch

TheNewClassics

Hey everyone,

Has anyone had any luck running Amstrad CPC using RA? I've got a combination of .dsk and .cpr files. According to the libretro files, the games should autorun when using the Caprice32 core. However, it just boots into what looks to be the bios/gui for the Amstrad and I cannot get the game itself to load. Does anyone know if there are settings that need to be changed?

Thanks in advance 

Caprice32 run perfectly in retroarch.

If you use .dsk files in options you must choose 6128 model. Don´t restart retroarch. You need close the program and start.

If you use .cpr files (GX4000 conversions) you must choose 6128+ model.

it is not convenient to have a romset with the two formats because each one needs a different option. I personally those with .cpr format I add them to GX4000.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yes, I have no problem with the controls, @Retrofrogg. My cap32 options file is as follows:

cap32_advanced_green_phosphor = "15"
cap32_autorun = "enabled"
cap32_combokey = "disabled"
cap32_lang_layout = "spanish"
cap32_model = "6128"
cap32_ram = "128"
cap32_retrojoy0 = "joystick"
cap32_retrojoy1 = "joystick"
cap32_scr_intensity = "8"
cap32_scr_tube = "color"

The configuration of the controls is the one that is by default.

It is important to remove the hotkeys to be able to use the necessary keys to start or configure the games during the game.

If you have a problem we keep talking here. I hope this will help you.

Edited by capidel

• 2 years later...
On 6/9/2020 at 1:53 PM, capidel said:

Caprice32 run perfectly in retroarch.

If you use .dsk files in options you must choose 6128 model. Don´t restart retroarch. You need close the program and start.

If you use .cpr files (GX4000 conversions) you must choose 6128+ model.

it is not convenient to have a romset with the two formats because each one needs a different option. I personally those with .cpr format I add them to GX4000.

Hi, a noob here using Caprice for Amstrad emulation. How do we change the models? Anyways, I found out, that Caprice32 only autoloads dsk-files that are zipped. The core does nothing with unzipped dsk-files, it´s even impossible to manually start them with the cat/bin-commmands.

That leads me to the actual main-issue. Did anyone find out, how to run multi-disc games for the Amstrad? I tried the m3u-solution, which basically works fine, but as Caprice doesn´t load unzipped files and disc-changes only work with unzipped file ... well that´s paradox. I would be glad to get some help from you. Thank you in advance.

Models are changed in the emulator options. Boot a game, press F1 key,  "core options" and choose the model, then you have to save the chosen option for each game or game folder.

I can run the dsk files without problem....

I can't help you about multiple discs because I don't use them. Best regards.

Un saludo.