LaunchBox Community Forums

Re-arrange details window in Launchbox

erling1000

Hi ?

I’m very new to Launchbox. Bought a new PC and went from MAME .137ish and EmuLoader (and emus for some consoles and Future Pinball) to lifelong updates from Launchbox.

I’ve been using emulators since mid 1990s, but always with a nice frontend.

I’m a sucker for detailed info on the games, and thats why I install LaunchBox to view in Listview. That is the best way. But I miss something, that I had in EmuLoader and other FEs:

When I scroll down the list, select the games, I would like to see the in-game screenshot in the top of the right side (game details). There seem to be no way to arrange this window, so one screenshot is in top, then details, then maybe the rest of the media.

Is there a way, or a theme that does that? (When I scroll now in listview, select a game, I have to scroll down to see the image.)

Thanks in advance ?

erling1000 

Edited by erling1000

It's possible to move these elements around by making your own theme or, like me, editing an existing one. I really like the style of the Lambda beta theme but I wanted to change some things for my own use. You can see in my image I just moved the chunk of code that puts in the screenshots up above the description. The big image at the top is actually a video but if you just want 1 screenshot up at the top you can do that pretty easily from the Settings menu.

Let me know, I might be reading your description wrong.

sidebar.png

Hello ShawnS ?

Thanks for replying ?

OK maybe I could go that way, if no other option is possible... Not that strong in coding.

Modifying a theme, OK then I should have a theme that would be OK for a start, and I havent seen any that lists games up like that except Launchbox Listview. Maybe I can modify that, but do I then have to do that every time I update?

Can you tell me what file to modify, and how? Or point a direction? Or is there a tutorial for that?

Greetings

erling1000

3 hours ago, erling1000 said:

Hello ShawnS ?

Thanks for replying ?

OK maybe I could go that way, if no other option is possible... Not that strong in coding.

Modifying a theme, OK then I should have a theme that would be OK for a start, and I havent seen any that lists games up like that except Launchbox Listview. Maybe I can modify that, but do I then have to do that every time I update?

Can you tell me what file to modify, and how? Or point a direction? Or is there a tutorial for that?

Greetings

erling1000

There are no tutorials to modifying a LaunchBox theme. If you are not familiar with it, it can be a trial an error process. It is not too hard though.

Best way to start is find a theme with a close enough view to what you want. Make a copy of it can all it what you want. Then edit that theme. If you want to change where the images show in the game details pane you will want to go into the theme's folder and go to the views folder. From there use something like Notepad++ (standard notepad will work, but ++ is a cleaner look with xaml files) to edit the GameDetailsView.xaml. If you look for a line item that typically references "ScreenshotImages" or "ScreenshotsVisibility" that would be what you want to move. Depending on the theme it is usually located within a StackPanel. So moving those lines or code above other items in the stack panel will place it above them in the view.

Hi again, ShawnS ?

Thanks, I think I'll try modifying that.

Now, I have read all about this theme in commentaries, and I see it may be very  good for me.

I didn't realise that the themes for LB included more views (thought they were static), so I have to try out listview in this theme.

A bit wiser, moving on ? funny how frontends, roms and emulators can consume as much time as playing the games... no? ? 

Have a nice weekend ?

Edited by erling1000

4 hours ago, erling1000 said:

? funny how frontends, roms and emulators can consume as much time as playing the games... no? ? 

Oh my, that is SOOO true, I barely touch the games, just OCDing through me collections, one game after another, everything must be perfect, am I right? 

Got my RG350M yesterday, and again one project more, *sigh*

Edited by DeadVoivod

19 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

Oh my, that is SOOO true, I barely touch the games, just OCDing through me collections, one game after another, everything must be perfect, am I right? 

Got my RG350M yesterday, and again one project more, *sigh*

? yeahr. Just got a new laptop, old one died, so now all emulation starts from scratch. Thats nice, then I can do a fresh install of everything, new roms, new folders, files etc... MAME, Future Pinball, SNES, NES, GBA, SMS oh a long and cosey season is coming ? Yesterday I forced myself into gaming even though things are a mess. But what a step up it is from EmuLoader, Mame 169, EmuCon and emus, to this Launchbox thing. Very interesting and lots a possibible nerding to do ?

5 hours ago, erling1000 said:

? yeahr. Just got a new laptop, old one died, so now all emulation starts from scratch. Thats nice, then I can do a fresh install of everything, new roms, new folders, files etc... MAME, Future Pinball, SNES, NES, GBA, SMS oh a long and cosey season is coming ? Yesterday I forced myself into gaming even though things are a mess. But what a step up it is from EmuLoader, Mame 169, EmuCon and emus, to this Launchbox thing. Very interesting and lots a possibible nerding to do ?

Since over 1 year I’m creating my own favorite sets for everything I use in LB, as you know, that takes a lot of time, but on the other hand is also a lot of fun, I really enjoy doing it, well otherwise I probably wouldn’t. 

At the moment, for over 1 month already, I’m going through the C64 TOSEC set, that’s huge, and so far I made it to letter M. But again, loads of fun, C64 fan all the way, was my first computer, and very nice to discover games you didn’t even know they exist, although also a lot of real crap lol. Amiga is already done, that was great fun too.

Next one on the list is the ZX and the X68000. Consoles and handhelds are mainly done. Missing only lesser known systems. But there’s still a lot left, and strangely enough I’m quite happy about it ?

1 hour ago, DeadVoivod said:

Since over 1 year I’m creating my own favorite sets for everything I use in LB, as you know, that takes a lot of time, but on the other hand is also a lot of fun, I really enjoy doing it, well otherwise I probably wouldn’t. 

At the moment, for over 1 month already, I’m going through the C64 TOSEC set, that’s huge, and so far I made it to letter M. But again, loads of fun, C64 fan all the way, was my first computer, and very nice to discover games you didn’t even know they exist, although also a lot of real crap lol. Amiga is already done, that was great fun too.

Next one on the list is the ZX and the X68000. Consoles and handhelds are mainly done. Missing only lesser known systems. But there’s still a lot left, and strangely enough I’m quite happy about it ?

? that wraps it up. BTW that was a HUGE amount of games you checked. When you're all done, I'm sure you find a new way to perfect your collection, I know I would ?

13 hours ago, erling1000 said:

ShawnS: I tried adapting Lambda theme to my needs - it's almost perfect ???‍♂️

Thanks for info, mate

That's great! Sorry I think I forgot to turn notifications of replies on so I didn't see any of this conversation going on in here. Glad you picked up on it pretty quickly though! Like Retro808 said, I just screw around with a theme I like until it does the things I want. :) Glad you were able to do the same!