LaunchBox Community Forums

Game images disappear

Stashdragon

Hello, I have spent hours trying to make sure all my games have images associated with them. Launchbox had no problems identifying the game. It just does not download the images so I had to go through each game individually and manually download the media. Idid that for all my N64, PS1, and SNES games and it took a very long time. Now I open launchbox today and ALL the images are gone again. I don't know what to do. 

16 hours ago, stashdragon@gmail.com said:

Launchbox had no problems identifying the game. It just does not download the images so I had to go through each game individually and manually download the media. Idid that for all my N64, PS1, and SNES games and it took a very long time. Now I open launchbox today and ALL the images are gone again. I don't know what to do. 

All these systems should have easily had images downloaded by Launchbox. Users have been scraping these platforms for years without issue. If LB can identify the game and you have the "Scrape As" set to the platform you are downloading images for there should be no issue. Where are you saving your images for your games in Launchbox?

8 hours ago, stashdragon@gmail.com said:

Development: So now when I close the app and then open all the images are gone for Wii U as well. Is it storing all these images I download somewhere filling up space? 

Is your LaunchBox build a local build on one pc or are you storing data on a server or cloud to share among computers? Can you go to your \Launchbox\Data\Platforms folder and share a pic of the files inside that folder?

We have seen similar issues before and it came down to a multiple xaml issue in the data folder. 

I would suggest first to not make your user name your email, second check up  top in image group make sure it's not stuck on something other than box fronts, I would also make sure you are shutting down launchbox properly and not through say task manager.

Those are popular platforms and usually scrape very well, there might be errors in the import process or file setup etc usually it's an unchecked box here or there that messes things up - I would play around a bit on a test build see what works and what doesn't while also watching some Launchbox tutorials.

16 hours ago, Retro808 said:

All these systems should have easily had images downloaded by Launchbox. Users have been scraping these platforms for years without issue. If LB can identify the game and you have the "Scrape As" set to the platform you are downloading images for there should be no issue. Where are you saving your images for your games in Launchbox?

Is your LaunchBox build a local build on one pc or are you storing data on a server or cloud to share among computers? Can you go to your \Launchbox\Data\Platforms folder and share a pic of the files inside that folder?

We have seen similar issues before and it came down to a multiple xaml issue in the data folder. 

Hi, thank you for the response. I am just using a single PC but I did not install Launchbox on my C drive because it's a small solid state. I placed it on another drive within my PC. I did not change where launchbox saves the images so it should be saving them to the default save location Launchbox uses when it's installed. 

A second thing, when I select a game or multiple games and his refresh image, it does nothing. Even though the system has the correct metadata it does not refresh the images. 

Edited by stashdragon@gmail.com

14 minutes ago, stashdragon@gmail.com said:

Hi, thank you for the response. I am just using a single PC but I did not install Launchbox on my C drive because it's a small solid state. I placed it on another drive within my PC. I did not change where launchbox saves the images so it should be saving them to the default save location Launchbox uses when it's installed. 

A second thing, when I select a game or multiple games and his refresh image, it does nothing. Even though the system has the correct metadata it does not refresh the images. 

OK. So this is not a drive or cloud sync issue.

When you go into the image folders for each platform that you are having this issue do you see the image files? For example Wii U. If you go to \Launchbox\Images\Wii U\ do you see your images in the various folders?

You said you downloaded all your own images. It could be a naming issue. LB expects image files to be named after the game or the rom file. Or it could be an image priority setting.

Sharing pics of what you see is always best. Just saying images are missing is not helpful as there are many places an images can show so knowing exactly what you mean or seeing it helps.

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

When you go into the image folders for each platform that you are having this issue do you see the image files? For example Wii U. If you go to \Launchbox\Images\Wii U\ do you see your images in the various folders?

Also can you be more specific in what you mean they are gone? Are you talking about the box images that show in the main LB field for each game? Knowing specifically what you are talking about will help drill down the issue. Need to determine is it just a case you do not have image priorities set right or is something else happening.

Share pics of what you see is always best.

So I attached some screen shots. Looking into the folder it looks like it's creating different folders for the same systems. Like 'Sony Playstation 2' and 'Playstation 2' For instance a missing image for the Ahh! Real Monsters Games in missing inside Launchbox but there are images for it in one of the Super Nintendo folders. 

When I say they are gone I mean when I open the metadata window it says there are 0/0 images even though the day prior I manually downloaded all the images. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 12.10.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 12.10.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 12.12.11 PM.png

10 hours ago, lou silver said:

I would suggest first to not make your user name your email, second check up  top in image group make sure it's not stuck on something other than box fronts, I would also make sure you are shutting down launchbox properly and not through say task manager.

Those are popular platforms and usually scrape very well, there might be errors in the import process or file setup etc usually it's an unchecked box here or there that messes things up - I would play around a bit on a test build see what works and what doesn't while also watching some Launchbox tutorials.

Hi, thanks for the first tip. I did not realize the system was using my email as my user name. 

25 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You said you downloaded all your own images. It could be a naming issue. LB expects image files to be named after the game or the rom file. Or it could be an image priority setting.

Sharing pics of what you see is always best. Just saying images are missing is not helpful as there are many places an images can show so knowing exactly what you mean or seeing it helps.

Ok, I think I figured out the issue. Launchbox does not rename the images folder if you rename the console on the left side panel. I did not want to have 'Super Nintendo Entertainment System' so I renamed it and it broke all the image links. I've gone in a renamed the images folder and then refreshed the images and it worked properly. Thank you for your assistance on this and I apologize for my ignorance. ^_^

56 minutes ago, Stashdragon said:

Ok, I think I figured out the issue. Launchbox does not rename the images folder if you rename the console on the left side panel. I did not want to have 'Super Nintendo Entertainment System' so I renamed it and it broke all the image links. I've gone in a renamed the images folder and then refreshed the images and it worked properly. Thank you for your assistance on this and I apologize for my ignorance. ^_^

Looking at the images I was going to ask about that since you had two SNES folders. Glad you found it.