LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME bezels that don't affect the vertical size?

Johnny T

I am setting up LB/BB on a new cabinet and thought I'd try bezels for the first time. I tried Arkanoid and Galaga and I love the fact that on Arkanoid I had the instructions at the side (i.e. what bonuses do what thing). However, due to the size of the bezel it really restricted the size of the game window. So much so that Galaga was tiny on my screen??

I'm not sure if my system is somehow squashing the screen further as well as adding a bezel (is there a setting for that anywhere??). But I also wondered if there was a MAME Bezel pack anywhere that had minimum interference with the vertical size of the game window?

I've googled it and there seems to be loads of bezel packs out there for all kinds of frontends but thought I'd ask what others use and if someone could help?

Thanks ?

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

A image of what you see would help.

Hi Neil

You're right. I'm an idiot. I've got the hard drive out of the machine at the moment and I'm currently doing some work on some of the software so can't post a photo unfortunately.

This is the bezel for Galaga on my 'house' PC.....

I just wondered if there were any bezels that didn't have as thick a border top/bottom (or maybe no border top/bottom)?

Thanks

galaga.jpg

This is how mine looks, Galaga is a vertical game so the aspect of the game window there is correct.

579614998_Mame0220b_64bitScreenshot2020_06.30-17_02_00_32.thumb.png.0d3d42b58769ab222af023ba5bfcba52.png

Just now, Johnny T said:

Hi Neil

You're right. I'm an idiot. I've got the hard drive out of the machine at the moment and I'm currently doing some work on some of the software so can't post a photo unfortunately.

This is the bezel for Galaga on my 'house' PC.....

I just wondered if there were any bezels that didn't have as thick a border top/bottom (or maybe no border top/bottom)?

Thanks

galaga.jpg

Thats just what the bezel is designed for, the lay file included in the bezel zip tells mame the size and location of the gameplay window.

• Like 1

Just now, DOS76 said:

you can probably edit the lay file and crop out the top and bottom.

Hi Dos, thanks. I would have to do every one though. I did consider this but realised that I was probably reinventing the wheel and there would probably be bezel packs available to suit.

It's not just Galaga. That was just the example I was using.

3 minutes ago, Johnny T said:

Yours doesn't have a border at the top/bottom though Neil. That is what I was looking for :)

May I ask where you got your bezels from? (Or even be a bit cheekier and wonder if you would consider uploading them somewhere for me?)?

Cheers ?

I used the bezel project to get mine.

• Thanks 1

Just now, neil9000 said:

I used the bezel project to get mine.

That's great Neil. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have a look and see what I can find. Worst comes to worst I'll just remove bezels altogether. It would be nice to have them though as I do like the look of them.

Thanks (as always) for the great help matey. Much appreciated :)

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

https://github.com/thebezelproject/BezelProject-Windows/releases

There is the actual program, your AV may flag it as unsafe, its a false positive.

Superb!! I was just scratching my head around the Github site with what to do. I've got that program now so I'll have a mess around with it. 

You're a star Neil! Thanks! :)

PS. Sorted it now. Thanks again :)

Edited by Johnny T