LaunchBox Community Forums

PC Games Launching Shortcuts Problem

Styphelus

Until now, the way I added PC games was via shortcuts in my Roms folder, adding the shortcut as my Launching application and enabling Emulation to use Rocketlauncher. This kept everything organized in Rocketlauncher (Fades, Backgrounds, Guides and so on) and was easy to change game path just by changing the shortcut if I moved the game to another drive.

For example for the game Beyond Blue my path would be    ..Roms\Microsoft Windows\Beyond Blue (2020).ink

Now, after this latest update I can't do that anymore. Once I add the shortcut it takes me to the exe file E:\Games\Beyond Blue (2020)\BeyondBlue.exe

Changing the path manually to the shortcut .ink file results in a Rom file does not exist error. Launchbox no longer recognizes the ink file and Rocketluancher does not start.

This messes up with everything in rocketlaunher. Is there any way around this?

Edited by Styphelus

Can you take me through the steps on how you are adding these? Also are games that were already imported changing or just ones you are importing fresh now don't work like the others did? Also can you confirm what version of LaunchBox you are using and seeing this behavior in?

• C-Beats changed the title to PC Games Launching Shortcuts Problem

So after doing some testing seems like it's games newly imported. The ones I had imported previously seem to be working.

When i install a new game, I create a shortcut in H:\Roms\Microsoft Windows\Game Name (Release Year).ink

So in H:\Roms\Microsoft Windows\   my shortcuts will be named: Ace Combat 7 (2019).ink, Beyond Blue (2020).ink, Assassin's Creed (2008).ink and so on.

In Lunchbox I import a Rom file > Add files > select shortcut and then enable emulator RocketLauncher.

Doing this helps keep all my rocketlauncher folders organized since they will all be named the same as the shortcut name. Otherwise they have to be named the same as the .exe file and things get messy. 

This method was working perfectly fine until the latest update. Now When i import a shortcut, the application path defaults to the exe file. Changing the application path manually to use the shortcut results in "The Rom file you specified does not exist".

However, games imported previously still show the application path pointing at the shortcut .ink file and they are working. it's only affecting newly imported games.

Edited by Styphelus

I can confirm what you are seeing and will look into the cause. In the meantime as a work around you can simply drag and drop the shortcut you wish to add over to LaunchBox and it will being up an import wizard, follow the steps similar to how you were already importing. When getting to the file list the .lnk files will show up and not their targets.