LaunchBox Community Forums

DEAD IN THE WATER WITH LATEST BETA

PiperCalls

Hi, I was using LB/BB this morning with no issues. The latest beta downloaded (thing it was beta-7) and now neither LB or BB will open. I'm getting an error msg that the settings.xml is corrupt. I looked in my backups folder and there are a bunch of timestamped zip files each containing several xml's one of which is settings.xml. I've tried to copy that to the Data folder but still get the error msg. I've tried all the backup files going back and none of them work. What to do?

Typically that is caused by some one or thing closing LaunchBox incorrectly and the XML save gets cut off corrupting the file. If it is saying that specific file is the corrupt one you can always delete it. Doing so will revert all settings to default though and you will have to reset everything to the way you had it. That file is LaunchBox settings so your Big Box specific stuff shouldn't be affected for the most part.

7 minutes ago, PiperCalls said:

Hi, I was using LB/BB this morning with no issues. The latest beta downloaded (thing it was beta-7) and now neither LB or BB will open. I'm getting an error msg that the settings.xml is corrupt. I looked in my backups folder and there are a bunch of timestamped zip files each containing several xml's one of which is settings.xml. I've tried to copy that to the Data folder but still get the error msg. I've tried all the backup files going back and none of them work. What to do?

If it's just the settings file, you could always just delete the LaunchBox\Data\Settings.xml file and all you'll lose is any custom settings. Otherwise, you can use the Tools > Restore Data Backup option to restore your data to a previous working state (but that will restore all of your data).

28 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

If it's just the settings file, you could always just delete the LaunchBox\Data\Settings.xml file and all you'll lose is any custom settings. Otherwise, you can use the Tools > Restore Data Backup option to restore your data to a previous working state (but that will restore all of your data).

Hi Jason, how would I go about doing Tools>Restore Data Backup? LB won't open, it crashes with error about corrupt settings.xml file.

8 minutes ago, PiperCalls said:

Hi Jason, how would I go about doing Tools>Restore Data Backup? LB won't open, it crashes with error about corrupt settings.xml file.

I see, of course, sorry. Easiest way then would be to just delete the Settings.xml file (or move it out of your data folder). Then you can restore from a backup if you want.

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I see, of course, sorry. Easiest way then would be to just delete the Settings.xml file (or move it out of your data folder). Then you can restore from a backup if you want.

Hi, I deleted settings.xml, then it said bigboxsettings.xml was corrupted...deleted then inputbindings.xml was corrupt...deleted, then listcache.xml was corrupt. I deleted them all and was able to launch LB/BB. LB seems all good to go but BB is not showing my 3D Boxes in the gameslist or any backgrounds. They show up in LB just not in BB. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Also, restoring backup doesn't work. Every one I've tried errors out...says error occurred data has not been changed. If I try to go to a backup from this morning (before the issue when everything was fine) I get a different error...access to the path Launchbox/Data is denied and then LB crashes.

53 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Sorry for the delay here @PiperCalls. Feels like the issues are stacking up here, which is odd. It's possible that your backup files are corrupted, but that would be the first time that I've ever heard of that. I wonder if maybe you're having file permissions issues with the LaunchBox folder?

Hi Jason, I deleted all the files in Data & launched & it recreated all them. I had to recreate a few playlists but other than that it was painless..so I'm all good. LB11 is looking great!

Thanks...Piper

• Like 1