LaunchBox Community Forums

LED blinky issue - only speaking for a second before cutting off??

Johnny T

I'll post this on an LEDBlinky forum if needs be but thought I'd ask here first as we're all a friendly bunch here.... ?

I have set up LEDblinky to speak controls on 'pause'. However, when playing games she only speaks for a second and gets cut off or she doesn't speak the full controls?

For instance - on Gauntlet - she says "Gauntlet" when it starts up but when I pause she just flashes the fire button and says "Fire" (no mention of Spell) ?

I thought she was getting her text to speak from the LEDBlinky controls.ini file so I changed "fire" to "firetits" (yes - I'm childish) in the controls.ini file but she still just said "Fire".??

On Tekken and Tekken 3 she just says "Punch" for the first button and doesn't mention the other buttons.

However, it's worth noting that all the buttons light up correctly. There's 4 buttons lit on Tekken and 2 buttons lit on Gauntlet.

Anyone any ideas?

:-)

3 hours ago, Johnny T said:

I think I've sorted this by turning off the "Any key" stops the Controls sound option. Just posting in case someone else has a similar issue. ?

I had a perfectly working LEDBlinky system and this started happening when I updated to version 7.1.0

I still wanted to have the any key to stop feature, so for me, reverting to version 7.0.4 returned it to working as it did before, 

Yep, I've found the problem. I've got an issue with my machine that for some reason there is a "JoystickHatSwitch7" key permanently being pressed. I need to go through and unplug everything one by one and track it down. But this is why my controls voice was cutting out with the "Any key" box checked. It's because, as far as LEDBlinky was concerned, I was getting a key pressed. ?

Funny you should mention that as I’ve had that issue too. It didn’t happen all the time but occasionally on reboot I would get that. It was real noticeable because it made typing impossible and other issues. 

I went back to the last pre multi-mode firmware on my iPac4UIO and never had the issue again. My iPac is always in keyboard mode so I’m not losing anything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

Funny you should mention that as I’ve had that issue too. It didn’t happen all the time but occasionally on reboot I would get that. It was real noticeable because it made typing impossible and other issues. 

I went back to the last pre multi-mode firmware on my iPac4UIO and never had the issue again. My iPac is always in keyboard mode so I’m not losing anything.

What do you mean by "pre multi mode"? I use my IPac4UIO for LEDs and keyboard. Is there a joystick setting somewhere that could be causing this issue?

Thanks

Multi-mode firmware is the current system where with a keystroke you can change how the iPac shows up to Windows: Keyboard mode, as Directinput joysticks, or as XInput joysticks. 

The Winipac application should show what firmware and mode you are using.

Okay, thanks for that Headrush. I'll drop Andy from Ultimarc a quick email and see if he's aware of the issue and get his advice.

I appreciate you getting back to me mate. I'll post back with whatever the outcome is so that it might help others with the same issue.

Just a quick update on this topic - just in case anyone else is having similar issues.....

I did update my firmware on the IPac Ultimate - the latest firmware is 1.55 (as of the 14th July 2020 as I write this). This didn't help so I contacted Andy and, with his help, did some fault finding.

It *looks* like it might be nothing to do with the IPac and something to do with LEDBlinky itself. Arzoo (the creator of LEDBlinky) is looking into this for me at the moment and I'll post back if it gets resolved.

It's certainly not affecting anything so I'm not too fussed but would be good to get to the bottom of it.

8 hours ago, Johnny T said:

Just a quick update on this topic - just in case anyone else is having similar issues.....

I did update my firmware on the IPac Ultimate - the latest firmware is 1.55 (as of the 14th July 2020 as I write this). This didn't help so I contacted Andy and, with his help, did some fault finding.

It *looks* like it might be nothing to do with the IPac and something to do with LEDBlinky itself. Arzoo (the creator of LEDBlinky) is looking into this for me at the moment and I'll post back if it gets resolved.

It's certainly not affecting anything so I'm not too fussed but would be good to get to the bottom of it.

Which issue are you referring to: the cut off speech or the key pressed issue?

The key issue was fixed for me by going back to firmware version 1.49, not to the latest version. (FYI) 

1 hour ago, Headrush69 said:

Which issue are you referring to: the cut off speech or the key pressed issue?

The key issue was fixed for me by going back to firmware version 1.49, not to the latest version. (FYI) 

The key issue is still apparent but only on LEDBlinky. Similar software that 'listens' for key presses doesn't do it? I'm up to the latest firmware version now (1.55).

Still investigating the root cause of the issue.

Cheers ?

On 7/14/2020 at 5:16 PM, Johnny T said:

The key issue is still apparent but only on LEDBlinky. Similar software that 'listens' for key presses doesn't do it? I'm up to the latest firmware version now (1.55).

Still investigating the root cause of the issue.

How do you know it's seeing a key down, is there info in the LEDBlinky debug log?

With LEDBlinky 7.1 I have this issue but I don't see any info in the debug log saying a key was pressed. If I instead use LEDBlinky 7.0.4, no issues.

12 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

How do you know it's seeing a key down, is there info in the LEDBlinky debug log?

With LEDBlinky 7.1 I have this issue but I don't see any info in the debug log saying a key was pressed. If I instead use LEDBlinky 7.0.4, no issues.

No, I haven't checked the Debug Log. I'm just going by the fact that when I ask it to 'listen' for the key that will skip the Spoken Controls - that box immediately gets populated.

However, Arzoo (the creator of LEDBlinky) has kindly fixed the issue in the latest release of LEDBlinky so you can probably upgrade and you'll be fine (make a backup just in case) :)

16 hours ago, Johnny T said:

No, I haven't checked the Debug Log. I'm just going by the fact that when I ask it to 'listen' for the key that will skip the Spoken Controls - that box immediately gets populated.

However, Arzoo (the creator of LEDBlinky) has kindly fixed the issue in the latest release of LEDBlinky so you can probably upgrade and you'll be fine (make a backup just in case) :)

The latest version is the one causing me that issue. Turning off the key feature doesn't help. I think out issues are different then. Glad it's working for you.

7 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

The latest version is the one causing me that issue. Turning off the key feature doesn't help. I think out issues are different then. Glad it's working for you.

Yep, we must have different issues? That's strange. You could always post on the Arcade Controls forum LEDBlinky thread and see if Arzoo can help you. That's what I did and he's brilliant at helping out.

Hope you get it sorted matey :)

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, xantari said:

I'm also having this issue, just updated to LedBlinky 7.1.0.1, Have 1.32 firmware for ipac ultimate.

Anyone get this sorted? The anykey option didn't do anything for me...

What 'key' is it pressing when it listens for a key press? I had a phantom key being pressed that was cutting off the speech.

4 hours ago, Johnny T said:

What 'key' is it pressing when it listens for a key press? I had a phantom key being pressed that was cutting off the speech.

My issue wasn't a key, but an analog joystick. Analog joystick values are always changing (hence why we have deadzones with them), and that was causing the issue. The solution in my case was in the LEDBlinky settings.ini file to disable checking joysticks.

[OtherSettings]
DetectJoysticks=0

• Like 1

Found what was causing it. I left Any Key on, and didn't do anything with DetectJoysticks=0, however detectjoysticks=0 would have probably also solved it.

What I found, was that when I unmarked "Any Key", and hit "Pick", it would immediately say "J3UP". I was like, thats wierd, I don't have 3 joysticks and what was keeping it pressed up.

I unplugged all the USB devices attached, and it was still occuring.

I finally went to add/remove programs and found I was using a very old version of VJoy 1.2 which allows the keyboard to act like a joystick.

After uninstalling that, and rebooting (to clear out the VJoy joysticks you can find by going to joy.cpl, joystick control panel) the issue stopped occurring.

So it appears a bug in VJoy caused J3UP to be perpetually pressed, causing immediate end of voice feedback.

Untitled.png

• Like 1