LaunchBox Community Forums

importing Arcade set

EJC

Hi!  I found this pretty great looking set of roms but can't seem to figure out how to get it imported. ((ROM LINK REMOVED)) I have pretty successfully imported a lot of games for consoles ,but can't figure this one out. So do I need to unzip every game folder first?  Thanks for your help!

59 minutes ago, EJC said:

Hi!  I found this pretty great looking set of roms but can't seem to figure out how to get it imported.  I have pretty successfully imported a lot of games for consoles ,but can't figure this one out. So do I need to unzip every game folder first?  Thanks for your help!

I edited your post. It is against forum rules to link to roms / rom sites.

That link was to a curated Mame rom set. Mame roms do not get unzipped. Each individual mame rom must stay in its zipped and properly named format. You would just import the zipped files like any other console.

Import the zip files adding them to your platform name, be sure to set the "Scrape As" to arcade if you choose not to call your platform "Arcade". If you are using Mame as the emulator be sure inside Mame you set up the path to where the roms are stored if you are not storing them directly in the Mame/Roms folder. When you add Mame to LB as an emulator make sure in the Associated Platforms tab you add the name of the platform in Launchbox you imported the roms to.

45 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I edited your post. It is against forum rules to link to roms / rom sites.

That link was to a curated Mame rom set. Mame roms do not get unzipped. Each individual mame rom must stay in its zipped and properly named format. You would just import the zipped files like any other console.

Import the zip files adding them to your platform name, be sure to set the "Scrape As" to arcade if you choose not to call your platform "Arcade". If you are using Mame as the emulator be sure inside Mame you set up the path to where the roms are stored if you are not storing them directly in the Mame/Roms folder. When you add Mame to LB as an emulator make sure in the Associated Platforms tab you add the name of the platform in Launchbox you imported the roms to.

Ah sorry, new here.  and THANK YOU.  That seemed to have worked.  I cannot get them to run.  I have the correct version of MAME in my LB emulators, it just goes to an Initializing screen and goes back to main menu.  This list was all tested to work with MAME .219.  Any ideas?

I'm getting some to work through launchbox, but some will just go to like a dip switch menu?  More are working just through MAME.  I haven't tested every game obviously.  Also some are saying CHD missing.  Forgive my ignorance please, I don't understand where a CHD would be. 

2 minutes ago, EJC said:

Also some are saying CHD missing.  Forgive my ignorance please, I don't understand where a CHD would be. 

CHD's are essentially compressed disk images, mostly used with the newer arcade games like street fighter 3, they are needed in order for the game to work, so you would need a rom and a CHD for some games.