LaunchBox Community Forums

Wouldn't it be cool if you could play Wii shooters or other lightgun shooters in VR?

Tatts4Life

I've seen you tube videos where people play non VR games on their VR headsets using Virtual Desktop. I've even heard of people Using Launchbox to play their games on the VR headset. I think it would be cool if you were able to play Wii games using the VR controllers instead of having to face your screen where the dolphin bar is the VR headset could track the controllers and know what you are pointing at. I know it would be hard to use a real Wii controller so probably a bunch of Wii games wouldn't be able to play. But at least shooters should be able to work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 4:31 PM, neil9000 said:

The standard Dolphin has 3D support, so use that in a VR app that allows you to switch to 3D mode, like bigscreen beta or virtual desktop.

How would I find the 3D setting for Dolphin? Do I still need to use the Wii controller and dolphin bar or can I use the Rift S controllers?

9 minutes ago, Tatts4Life said:

So I found the 3D setting in Dolphin and played Mario Kart Wii in 3D and it was tons of fun in Bigbox VR. I just need to figure out if there is a way to turn the 3D setting in dolphin on and off automatically based on the game since 3D doesn't work for every game.

I just have two versions of dolphin, both in portable mode, one setup for normal use, and the other for VR. I have the normal Dolphin as the default emu, then i just right click a game and "Launch with" the VR version of Dolphin when i want to do that.

image.thumb.png.97f7780233ac93469cb1352496485c32.pngimage.thumb.png.8ac7057e26427bc7caf481afef1f9847.pngimage.thumb.png.a5c20fe74cbdfc200f8f400d23725a4d.png

oh ok that seems pretty easy to do. I guess the hardest thing is remembering which games I can play in 3D. I guess the other option is to some how make a playlist of just the games that work in 3D that way I know which ones they are and don't have to go to the Dolphin wiki site. Maybe I'll try and figure out how to make that playlist.

10 minutes ago, Tatts4Life said:

oh ok that seems pretty easy to do. I guess the hardest thing is remembering which games I can play in 3D. I guess the other option is to some how make a playlist of just the games that work in 3D that way I know which ones they are and don't have to go to the Dolphin wiki site. Maybe I'll try and figure out how to make that playlist.

Dolphin can play any game in 3D, you just enable it and say whether you want side by side or over/under then set bigscreen beta or whatever app you are using to actually do the 3D in VR to the matching style.

• 2 weeks later...

@neil9000 So I setup Dolphin and Citra like you did with a standard version and a 3D version. I was showing it off to my Niece and Nephew and they were having so much fun playing Gamecube games. Windwaker looks cool but I hate that the camera movement is inverted. I also need to figure out a good placement of the dolphin bar for when I want to play shooters in 3D and need it.