LaunchBox Community Forums

11.4 games not starting

Owls21

I recently updated from 11.3 to 11.4. the update finished without any issues and I restarted as directed. I attempted to start a MAME game, but nothing loads. The mouse cursor disappears and I noticed a new window, Launchbox Game Startup, is open when I Alt+Tab. 

Any ideas on what the issue is?

Sorry for the lack of details but there really are none other than what I said. Games do not load, no error message, and a new blank window opens behind LB titled Launchbox Game Startup. Mouse disappears and I have to kill LB/BB via task manager. Same happens when launched in BB. I tried a reinstall of 11.4, but that didn't fix it. I then rolled back to 11.2, and everything works fine. 

Well, in the process of trying to connect my drive to another PC, my external fell off the tower. Now I just get a faint pulsing sound. Gonna need a new drive. It will be a while until I can test this out again. 

I'll revert back once I'm up and running. 

OK, I've been able to pinpoint this issue. It must be related to startup screens. When startup screens are off, games load fine. When the default startup theme is enabled, games load fine. When either Retro Console or Simple Detailed Startup themes are enabled, the mouse disappears and a Launchbox Game Startup window opens behind LB. I have only experienced this behavior after upgrading to 11.4 (from 11.2). I'm happy to provide additional info.

@degetalwolf experienced the same issue with a couple of other themes in the thread below.

@Owls21 I've tried to replicate issues with the Retro Console and Simple Detailed startup themes, and everything seems to be working smoothly for me. I am on the latest beta though. Can you try updating to 11.5-beta-2?

On 9/6/2020 at 1:16 AM, zugswang said:

11.4 also not working for me.

Window 10 Pro 64bit 2004 update

What specifically isn't working?

11.5 beta 2 fixed the issue!

The issue occurred when opening any game with Startup Screens enabled with either Retro Console or Simplified (I have seen other affected startup themes as well on the forums). The mouse cursor would disappear and nothing would load. There would be a Launchbox Game Startup window that opened behind LB. I would have to restart in order to get the mouse pointer back. Games loaded fine with default startup theme, or no startup themes at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Owls21 said:

11.5 beta 2 fixed the issue!

The issue occurred when opening any game with Startup Screens enabled with either Retro Console or Simplified (I have seen other affected startup themes as well on the forums). The mouse cursor would disappear and nothing would load. There would be a Launchbox Game Startup window that opened behind LB. I would have to restart in order to get the mouse pointer back. Games loaded fine with default startup theme, or no startup themes at all.

Woot! Good to hear.

• Like 1