LaunchBox Community Forums

Detected Launchbox Game ID is wrong and I can't change it

Craig Parton

As the title says. One specific example is Tetris for the NES. There are three versions, the US version, the Japanese version, and the unlicensed Tengen version. In my NES collection I have the US version and Tengen version. Both detect as Launchbox ID #98523. Clicking that link redirects to here (https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/48523) , which is clearly the Japanese version. I easily found the correct one (https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/1382), but there is no way for me to specify that. I can clear the ID with the X button but can't enter the correct one manually. Clicking search metadata only turns up the same incorrect result.

This wouldn't be as big of a deal if it didn't detect BOTH games as the Japanese version. Because they are the same ID, it is sharing images for them. If I delete all the incorrect images for the US version, it also deletes them for the Tengen version. Since there's also no way to specify which image you want for a particular game (seems like you should be able to do that, too), I can't display different box art for these games despite both being available. Is there truly no way to change the detected game ID?

17 hours ago, Craig Parton said:

As the title says. One specific example is Tetris for the NES. There are three versions, the US version, the Japanese version, and the unlicensed Tengen version. In my NES collection I have the US version and Tengen version. Both detect as Launchbox ID #98523. Clicking that link redirects to here (https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/48523) , which is clearly the Japanese version. I easily found the correct one (https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/1382), but there is no way for me to specify that. I can clear the ID with the X button but can't enter the correct one manually. Clicking search metadata only turns up the same incorrect result.

This wouldn't be as big of a deal if it didn't detect BOTH games as the Japanese version. Because they are the same ID, it is sharing images for them. If I delete all the incorrect images for the US version, it also deletes them for the Tengen version. Since there's also no way to specify which image you want for a particular game (seems like you should be able to do that, too), I can't display different box art for these games despite both being available. Is there truly no way to change the detected game ID?

Clear the LB ID entry by clicking the "X" then paste in the Alternate name listed in the DB (i.e., Nintendo Tetris if want the North America region Tetris (Bulletproof) for Asia).  It should bring up the correct one you want to map.  Normally it should show both entries in the drop down block to pick which you want.  So not sure what the issue is there in DB.  Both primary names are listed as Tetris and the regions don't appear to be mapped for some of the alt names. When I tried fixing the alt name regions I get a DB error so not sure if DB is entry is messed up or just something on my end.

Also, once the ID is matched, you can over write the name to whatever and LB will still keep the ID match as long as don't clear the "X" or you don't do a fully metadata update replacing existing or it will zap anything you customized.

Edited by sundogak

You will also get an issue with media files, since both entries have 100% the same default name. They will get mixed up (both entries will use each others images, since they are saved in your images directory using the default name). And it even gets worse with video files from EmuMovies for example. The default name cannot be named the same as another game on the same platform without issues.

For this Tetris case what could be done in the database is to switch places with the alternative name (Name + (Publisher) - for example) and the default name. This [Default Game Name (Publisher)] workaround has been done especially in the Commodore 64 platform, since there are tons of games named the same - and the solution works just fine. The other benefit of them being differently named is that the search function results in finding them more easily, not only showing one entry for multiple games with the same name.

More about this here, I recommend checking these out:

And here:

Edited by kurzih