LaunchBox Community Forums

Alternative Game Capture Method

PanteraZombie

So I have not yet set up OBS for recording snaps/recordings in LaunchBox... but I just discovered a quick and simple alternative way to screen capture that's actually built into Windows 10. Pressing "Windows Key+ALT+R" records any active window, it has worked with every program and browser I've tried... even Amazon Prime videos ? lol. Press it again to stop and it saves to your User>Videos>Captures folder at your screen resolution with sound. It worked perfectly with a Nintendo game in Retroarch. Can't believe I haven't heard about this until now, just thought this might be able to help a few people that might not want to use OBS for some reason.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing. You'd have to drag the file into the LB videos folder manually, and the file sizes might get silly depending on the codec and its config, if it's full screen resolution. Nice alternative, though the OBS integration with LB works so well and seems to take up very little resources, so I don't know how much incentive there is to do anything else tbh.

On 9/11/2020 at 4:15 AM, PanteraZombie said:

So I have not yet set up OBS for recording snaps/recordings in LaunchBox... but I just discovered a quick and simple alternative way to screen capture that's actually built into Windows 10. Pressing "Windows Key+ALT+R" records any active window, it has worked with every program and browser I've tried... even Amazon Prime videos ? lol. Press it again to stop and it saves to your User>Videos>Captures folder at your screen resolution with sound. It worked perfectly with a Nintendo game in Retroarch. Can't believe I haven't heard about this until now, just thought this might be able to help a few people that might not want to use OBS for some reason.

FYI, you need to turn on game bar in Settings -> Gaming first. Are you recording full screen, or just windowed? I have yet to get it to work with Retroarch in full screen or full screen windowed mode.

Edit: I just got a message that I need ms-gamingoverlay app when trying in windowed mode. My guess is this is part of the Xbox gaming stuff that I don't have installed on my cabinet.

Edited by Headrush69
  • Like 1