LaunchBox Community Forums

dirtyOld

thimolor

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 6:58 AM, Whatscheizer said:

Just gave this theme a spin tonight and I think I just found the one I'm sticking with. The layout is great, looks great, and its easily been my favorite to navigate through. Thanks a lot. ?

Thanks. Just updated the theme. Hope you like the new version also.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thimolor said:

Thanks. Just updated the theme. Hope you like the new version also.

I do... but I think I actually prefer the views from the previous version. I was, however, a fan of this one...

Big Box Screenshot - dirtyOld - WheelGamesView - 2021-01-05 22.31.12.jpg

I thought that came out nice.

I think over all I prefer the views where the text scales well and sort of negates the need for having the clear logo textures. It lends itself to looking clean and complete without much more needed than the Box Front, Fan Art Background, and a Video. Honestly the more it looks like a bit of a file system view, the more I seem to like it. I'm currently trying to integrate my Plex TV and Movies into Launchbox so I can have them sit alongside my emulated consoles in one interface. I only just started this project so I'm not very far along... What I have found so far though is views that allow me to use just text for that in a great looking font that scales well on its own takes a ton of the headache out of it this project. Not to mention it seems to make navigation more intuitive and "snappy" feeling. Especially using an Xbox controller.

I'm putting this together at the moment on a PC with a 21:9 aspect ratio so my screens probably look a bit off from what is intended. I plan to use this in my living room when its done though, which will put me at 16:9 given that is what my TV displays.

If I had one bit of feed back I suppose I may suggest to keep the Category view as is in the following shot aside from possibly adding the ability to play a video  for the currently highlighted category.

Dirty-Old0edit.jpg

To work well with TV especially I have to start Launchbox in Category View. This allows me to go three tiers deep with organizing the menu structure. So TV > TV Show > Season 01 =/= Category > Platform > Playlist.

This works perfectly as I ran down that menu structure to display Season one of Miami Vice here:

(I've been making my own preview videos for episodes. So I had ought to finish this project about half past never. lol)

Dirty-Old02.jpg

Anyway, I don't know how much feedback you're looking for or how much you expect to iterate on this layout. I just thought I'd explain my use case and see if that info is useful to you in anyway. At any rate I'm more than happy with what is here thus far. Again, it's a great theme! ?

On 1/17/2021 at 12:36 AM, Whatscheizer said:

I think over all I prefer the views where the text scales well and sort of negates the need for having the clear logo textures. It lends itself to looking clean and complete without much more needed than the Box Front, Fan Art Background, and a Video. Honestly the more it looks like a bit of a file system view, the more I seem to like it. I'm currently trying to integrate my Plex TV and Movies into Launchbox so I can have them sit alongside my emulated consoles in one interface. I only just started this project so I'm not very far along... What I have found so far though is views that allow me to use just text for that in a great looking font that scales well on its own takes a ton of the headache out of it this project. Not to mention it seems to make navigation more intuitive and "snappy" feeling. Especially using an Xbox controller.

I'm putting this together at the moment on a PC with a 21:9 aspect ratio so my screens probably look a bit off from what is intended. I plan to use this in my living room when its done though, which will put me at 16:9 given that is what my TV displays.

If I had one bit of feed back I suppose I may suggest to keep the Category view as is in the following shot aside from possibly adding the ability to play a video  for the currently highlighted category.

Dirty-Old0edit.jpg

To work well with TV especially I have to start Launchbox in Category View. This allows me to go three tiers deep with organizing the menu structure. So TV > TV Show > Season 01 =/= Category > Platform > Playlist.

This works perfectly as I ran down that menu structure to display Season one of Miami Vice here:

(I've been making my own preview videos for episodes. So I had ought to finish this project about half past never. lol)

Dirty-Old02.jpg

Anyway, I don't know how much feedback you're looking for or how much you expect to iterate on this layout. I just thought I'd explain my use case and see if that info is useful to you in anyway. At any rate I'm more than happy with what is here thus far. Again, it's a great theme! ?

Is the text size too small in the new version or you dislike the use of Roboto font? It should scale as it did in the previous version. I think I made the text size a bit smaller.  I might make changes to the platform text-filter view (put the menu on the right and full height as it is in the text view for games). You can also try to modify the theme with the Community Creator Tool files that I have provided, so you can make your own tweaks to the theme as you please.