LaunchBox Community Forums

Alternate Names question

maabus

Is there any way to change the way Alternate Names works? 

You used to be able to right click on a system, and it would say |Play "alternate name" (version) Version...|

now it just says |Play (version) Version...| 

is there any way to have it display the alternate name? It seems pointless if you cant tell what alternate name of the game is without having to edit the game to see the tab. 

9 hours ago, maabus said:

Is there any way to change the way Alternate Names works? 

You used to be able to right click on a system, and it would say |Play "alternate name" (version) Version...|

now it just says |Play (version) Version...| 

is there any way to have it display the alternate name? It seems pointless if you cant tell what alternate name of the game is without having to edit the game to see the tab. 

Alternate names? Or do you mean Additional Apps? Additional Apps is what houses the other versions of the same game you may have imported. You can just edit the additional app and change the name. Right click and edit the game. Click the additional apps page then select the rom and click edit application. The name field can be edited.

Thanks Retro, 

I'm talking about Alternate Names. 

For example this is 10-Yard Fight. One of the clone names is supposed to be 10-Yard '85. In previous versions of LB it would say "Play 10-Yard '85 (US, Taito license) Version..." The additional name would already be in the additional app name. Now it just has the version only. 137231217_lbrightclick.png.95225ad6ba8d8c6a737ae662e3a663f9.png

If you edit 10-Yard Fight there is a section for Alternate names. It contains 10-Yard Fight '85 there, but it doesn't display it anywhere. 1799337608_lbedit.thumb.png.4e7745b9460f70e7d51bfcd786ea3f75.png

It was nice being able to see the clone name when you right click the game. You were able to see which version you wanted to try. Now if i want to have the different clone names i will have to manually change the additional apps name. Is there any way to put the additional name back into the additional app name? 

17 minutes ago, maabus said:

Thanks Retro, 

For example this is 10-Yard Fight. One of the clone names is supposed to be 10-Yard '85. In previous versions of LB it would say "Play 10-Yard '85 (US, Taito license) Version..." The additional name would already be in the additional app name. Now it just has the version only. 137231217_lbrightclick.png.95225ad6ba8d8c6a737ae662e3a663f9.png

No. What you need is additional apps, not alternate names. Just go to the additional apps tab as I mentioned in my prior post and change the name there. What is showing in this pic above is what is read from the additional apps tab.

16 minutes ago, maabus said:

No. You are referring to Additional Apps. In the bottom screen, instead of selecting the "Alternate Names" tab please click "Additional Apps". Notice on that page you now have a list of apps that match the image of the context menu you are showing. Now, notice that the first column ("Name") MATCHES the entries in your context menu. To change them select the entry you wish to change and press "Edit". This will bring up the "Edit Additional Application" screen. On the first page that it loads up to you will see the "Name" text box. Change that value to what ever it is you want to see in the context menu. Now press "OK" in that window, and "OK" in the "Edit Game" window. Now right click the game and you will see the name in that context menu DID indeed change.

Edit: Dang ya too quick for me @Retro808 lol

Thanks guys. 

UGG....

I imported the full Mame rom set. That means that I have to manually rename each additional app. That's like thousands of clone names to rename. 

Why did they change the way additional apps are named? It used to automatically have the name there.