LaunchBox Community Forums

How To Properly Separate Multiple PC Clients in Big Box?

CyberOcelot

My goal at the moment is to have each client (Steam, Epic Games, Origin, etc...) separate on Big Box (instead of having them all under "Windows" by default. I initially thought the best approach to accomplish this was to make each client it's own platform, and that works. But, I get the warning pictured below. Am I doing this wrong? Is there a better method? 

The warning box tells me to separate them in categories instead, but when I do this, I can only get them to appear if I change the view to "Sources", and that doesn't really look as good as separating them as platforms. 

Any ideas?

Launchbox Warning.jpg

7 hours ago, CyberOcelot said:

My goal at the moment is to have each client (Steam, Epic Games, Origin, etc...) separate on Big Box (instead of having them all under "Windows" by default. I initially thought the best approach to accomplish this was to make each client it's own platform, and that works. But, I get the warning pictured below. Am I doing this wrong? Is there a better method? 

The warning box tells me to separate them in categories instead, but when I do this, I can only get them to appear if I change the view to "Sources", and that doesn't really look as good as separating them as platforms. 

Any ideas?

Launchbox Warning.jpg

You dont manually make a platform before importing, just start the wizard for whichever store you are importing and that will all be handled for you. When it asks for the platform it will likely be pre filled with Windows, just type whatever you want the platform called in there and set the "scrape as" to windows if you have that option. I have all my stores imported separately myself.

image.thumb.png.cd584df99a24f9b997a971ed7d681f7e.png 

8 hours ago, neil9000 said:

You dont manually make a platform before importing, just start the wizard for whichever store you are importing and that will all be handled for you. When it asks for the platform it will likely be pre filled with Windows, just type whatever you want the platform called in there and set the "scrape as" to windows if you have that option. I have all my stores imported separately myself.

Thanks again, Neil9000! :)

I just tested importing with GOG games as you instructed, since that client has the least amount of games for me. The wizard only presents an option to rename the platform on a per game basis (Which would take forever to do individually). So I allowed it to import the games as Windows, but then edited the platform to read "GOG" and kept the "Scrape As" as Windows. 

I'm assuming it's still OK if I rename the platform as described here AFTER the import process is completed?  

5 minutes ago, CyberOcelot said:

Thanks again, Neil9000! :)

I just tested importing with GOG games as you instructed, since that client has the least amount of games for me. The wizard only presents an option to rename the platform on a per game basis (Which would take forever to do individually). So I allowed it to import the games as Windows, but then edited the platform to read "GOG" and kept the "Scrape As" as Windows. 

I'm assuming it's still OK if I rename the platform as described here AFTER the import process is completed?  

If you rename it after you will also need to rename the image and video folders, or copy the contents of them to the newly named and created folders.

I just checked and GOG seems to be the only platform that doesnt let you rename it in the wizard, usually its pretty early in the import wizard process. See here i am using the Epic importer, i can put any name i like here before importing.

image.thumb.png.8bb98fc6c90144142ca11d3da83e515c.png@C-Beats or @Jason Carr is that intended behaviour for the GOG importer or a oversite in the wizard for that?

1 hour ago, CyberOcelot said:

The wizard only presents an option to rename the platform on a per game basis

This isn't true. You can select any number of games and right click to change the platform name to one of three values OR supply your own custom value.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

@C-Beats or @Jason Carr is that intended behaviour for the GOG importer or a oversite in the wizard for that?

Yes. The GOG importer is only importer that lets you select which platform you wish to import your games to on a PER GAME basis. We did this because GOG is a hodge podge of MS-DOS and Windows games (two separate platforms) and so we wanted to easily give users a way to import their entire library and still give them the flexibility to place each game in the platform that makes most sense to them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, neil9000 said:

If you rename it after you will also need to rename the image and video folders, or copy the contents of them to the newly named and created folders.

I've gone ahead and changed the platform in each line to "GOG" but no "Scrape As" option. After importing, it's not listed under "Computers" anymore. What would be the proper method to import GOG then?

Side note: All the other clients are ready to go, thanks to you. :)

10 hours ago, C-Beats said:

This isn't true. You can select any number of games and right click to change the platform name to one of three values OR supply your own custom value.

I meant that, when presented with the list of games in the importer, right clicking only allows me to change the value per line/game, but does not change the platform for all the games that are checked in the list.  But, considering I didn't get the intended result doing that, I'm assuming I'm not propely importing GOG games? 

6 hours ago, CyberOcelot said:

I meant that, when presented with the list of games in the importer, right clicking only allows me to change the value per line/game, but does not change the platform for all the games that are checked in the list.  But, considering I didn't get the intended result doing that, I'm assuming I'm not propely importing GOG games? 

You can select (not check) multiple items using Ctrl (or shift) click as well as Ctrl-A, then right click and choose an option and it will apply to all rows you currently have selected.

2 hours ago, C-Beats said:

You can select (not check) multiple items using Ctrl (or shift) click as well as Ctrl-A, then right click and choose an option and it will apply to all rows you currently have selected.

*Facepalm
I'm a dummy. Didn't even think of that functionality being available when looking at the games list. LOL! 

Thanks for the clarification! :)