LaunchBox Community Forums

Cant understand alternate rom that does not appear

xevious1974

Hi,

I am a bit confused.

Usually I have:

1 game, more versions, alternate names, I can launch them with RMB. For example:
Platform: SNES

Game: Demon's Crest

I have 4 roms, I have imported them merged. If I click right mouse butto, LB show me the other versions. Also they appear in "additional path". 

I have imported in the same way what follow:

Platform: Game Boy

Game: Atomic Punk
I have 3 roms, LB imports only 1 rom. LB show me the alternate name. If I click RMB it does NOT show me the alternate versions. They does NOT appear in "additional path". If I try to import again LB tells me "0 game imported"

What is the difference?

Combine Roms does not combine new imports with an existing import. It works only when you are importing them at the same time. 

You will have to import the other roms and check the force duplicate option. Then when they get imported select all the matching roms and combine them. LB will give you an option to choose the default.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

Combine Roms does not combine new imports with an existing import. It works only when you are importing them at the same time. 

Ok, thank you.

I am importing game dividing in groups, cause they are too much.  thank you!
I'll deal with that then, I cannot import 2000-10000 roms in one time, I download media at very low rate :(

So, when I'll discover that I miss a rom, I'll force it and then I'll merge it. Damn, I hoped that LB'll add later the game.

Thank you again! Seems easy to import, but all has always a lot of different aspect.

52 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

Ok, thank you.

I am importing game dividing in groups, cause they are too much.  thank you!
I'll deal with that then, I cannot import 2000-10000 roms in one time, I download media at very low rate :(

So, when I'll discover that I miss a rom, I'll force it and then I'll merge it. Damn, I hoped that LB'll add later the game.

Thank you again! Seems easy to import, but all has always a lot of different aspect.

My recommendation than would be import your roms without scraping for media. That way you can quickly see if anything was missed. Then go back and download that media.

Plenty of users import full roms sets for many systems with many versions of the same rom. Nothing wrong with that. Since media downloads is timely for you I would do as I mentioned and import rom first without media.

I have many games that I keep several versions of the same rom for. 

6 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

My recommendation than would be import your roms without scraping for media. That way you can quickly see if anything was missed. Then go back and download that media.

Plenty of users import full roms sets for many systems with many versions of the same rom. Nothing wrong with that. Since media downloads is timely for you I would do as I mentioned and import rom first without media.

I have many games that I keep several versions of the same rom for. 

Ehi, thank you! I know that I have to share my thoughts here. 

This seems an excellent solution. No, sorry, it is THE solution!

If now, I remove rom (scan for removed roms, after moving DIR) and then I'll add again, media are already downloaded, true?

Thank you again!! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DeadVoivod said:

Again the same question, why would you keep several versions of the same ROM? Goes beyond me. I still would understand it for the collecting purpose, but unnecessarily cluttering LB with stuff seems counterproductive to me. 

There are a lot of reasons.

A different version can be a little different game. If you take classic mame roms there are a lot of difference. When I was young I was playing bubble bobble with no enemy firing,then I'll discovered that the original had firing enemy. You can have more info also looking at the new series on Netflix...high score if I remember well

I had a jap USA snes and a EUP snes, game were faster on USA 

First psx that I had was en JAP...  I prefer some jap games due to the language talked (Winning eleven "HotoShiiuto" when I kick ball)

I dont want a "Tosec" like set, because it keep a lot of garbage but a "nointroset" it is complete for me...also a Tosec...yes, I am a maniac, yeah
(I am using this "names" only to identify better what I am talking about)

TOSECs are a pain to go through, that's right. The only time I used a TOSEC was for the C64, as that's still one of my favorite systems, childhood memories and stuff, so I wanted to be sure to go through everything and not missing out a game I didn't know so far. But pain it was indeed. Once it was done though, I felt like a king ?

Just to mention, I didn't keep every single game though, just the ones I want, still talking about around 2.000 games. 

Edited by DeadVoivod

5 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

TOSECs are a pain to go through, that's right. The only time I used a TOSEC was for the C64, as that's still one of my favorite systems, childhood memories and stuff, so I wanted to be sure to go through everything and not missing out a game I didn't know so far. But pain it was indeed. Once it was done though, I felt like a king ?

Just to mention, I didn't keep every single game though, just the ones I want, still talking about around 2.000 games. 

When I started LB/BB I was thinking to take only my favourite games. But I have found a lot of game that I never played an I was enjoying it. So I started to collect games, games, games. 
We know what happen, you collect and then you dont play. And if you play...which one you play? When you have thousands game is hard to choose and it is quite impossible to try them all. So I started to think to divide games in 2 categories.
Then I learnt the magic word "playlist"
Now I can collect what I want and then prepare a playlist to divide games.
For example at the moment I'd like to prepare a playlist to collect Bitmap Brothers Games. I love Speedball, Chaos Engine, Xenon, god... But the only problem is that I am not able to found a playlist video for it...sad.

Maybe it is the time that I take my adobe premiere...but preparing video takes a lot of time. 

Collecting and creating playlists is the way I found to reconcile my obsessive side of collecting and the pleasure of playing.

20 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

When I started LB/BB I was thinking to take only my favourite games. But I have found a lot of game that I never played an I was enjoying it.

That's why I take the time to go through every single game of every platform and test it. It takes a lot of time, I know, but it saves me a lot of space plus testing them in really fun too. 

• Like 1