LaunchBox Community Forums

Remote editing advice

spyksaturn

Hey guys. Been using launchbox/big box for a bit now and I have been editing from my bed using my tv as a monitor. Long story short I want to be able to edit remotely so the wife and I can still watch tv while I do it. I've been thinking about getting a lap top to do so. I really just want to be able to edit files, maybe edit emulator settings to get the best out of them for each game (maybe), add missing elements like pictures and stuff to my database and things like that. Not as worried about editing the emulators if it can save me a good chunk of cash on getting a laptop. My question would be what would be the best way to remote in and what would be the best laptop to get budget wise if that is in fact the best way to remote in. Bonus for the stupid stuff I'm into like multi colored light up keyboards (I like a little astetics?)

Parsec is a good program for remoting in to a computer and it supports gamepads. There is also Steam in home streaming. I use Splashtop personal for general remote stuff as well. As for a laptop just about anything really, I would just make sure it has good wifi ac (5ghz) and at least a 1080p screen. Also a good keyboard and trackpad

if you just want to remote into you PC while you watch TV all you have to do is set up a Remote Desktop connection to the PC and it will show the other PC on your laptop. I do this basically everyday to access my Windows Server which I run headless so its basically the only means I have to communicate with the server.

image.thumb.png.df8d50d35586d4e09bc7060df9561969.pngRemote Desktop session to my server

Yeah I guess more my question would be laptop recommendations. I've had a friend tell me you need something with a good processor and I had my tech guy say all you need is something with good connectivity and have good band with. Basically I want to go simple but not where I sacrificed performance. Let's be honest though there isn't much of that needed either. I just don't know how low I can go.