LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox won't launch after update - Lost Games!

Daniel Freeburg

I recently updated my license subscription and then attempted  to update to the latest version of Launchbox. (I believe it's at 11.8 now) However, after trying to update, Launchbox won't even start up anymore. I attempted to roll back to my previous version. Even going so far as to try to install it to my (C:) drive - It had previously been installed on my (E:) external HD. NOW, ALL of my games are missing and today, I attempted to open the apparently "empty" new installation and "it" won't even open now! I have a LOT of time invested in getting my Launchbox set up...MANY hours put into it...To lose everything, after PAYING for a renewal and trying to update to the most recent version is not only FRUSTRATING....IT IS MADDENING! PLEASE tell me how I can recover my games and install the latest version without going through any more of this mess!

If you had your install on your E: drive, but have now installed the latest version to your C drive then of course it will be empty, its a new install that you havent setup. You would need to run the update for 11.8 and install it over the top of your previous version, not to a completely different location. Launchbox is a portable program and doesnt store any of its data outside of its own folder structure so if you install it elsewhere it has no knowledge at all of the other installation which actually contains your systems and games.

Same thing happened to me, lost everything on this last update. Cannot start up launchbox or bigbox. I only have one drive so it wasn't a drive letter problem. The application will not even open. Any suggestions on how to recover all of my set up data. I would hate to start from scratch.

O.K. Started from scratch with a new install and transferred all of my folders/emulators/roms and so forth over to new files. Launched it from new set up and all is back to normal. Pretty scary when it would not launch and when I first reinstalled it everything was gone and it said I was on the free version. I guess it the old folder didn't like the update. 

4 hours ago, GraftedOne said:

Same thing happened to me, lost everything on this last update. Cannot start up launchbox or bigbox. I only have one drive so it wasn't a drive letter problem. The application will not even open. Any suggestions on how to recover all of my set up data. I would hate to start from scratch.

As with anything on a computer, the best thing to do is backup all the main files, except for the large images, videos, music, games and manual folders.

Just copy them to another drive on a regular basis and if there are any issues you can simply copy them back from your backed up folder and replace existing folders.

I do this on a daily basis and it's approx 10gb for me and I have 150,000+ games (takes 10 minutes to copy files)

Very useful if I start messing with settings etc and any issue arises.

5 hours ago, GraftedOne said:

O.K. Started from scratch with a new install and transferred all of my folders/emulators/roms and so forth over to new files. Launched it from new set up and all is back to normal. Pretty scary when it would not launch and when I first reinstalled it everything was gone and it said I was on the free version. I guess it the old folder didn't like the update. 

Sounds like you installed to the wrong location. Updates DO NOT touch any of your data, so the only way for you to have zero games is if you installed it to the wrong location. I'm 100% certain if you were to look in your original Launchbox folder you now have a new Launchbox folder within it as you set the path in the installer to your Launchbox folder itself, rather than a level higher as actually needed.

26 minutes ago, Koroth said:

You could use something like FreeFileSync for this and set it up to only copy (sync) altered or new files. This should massively reduce the amount being copied.

Thanks, but I prefer to just manually copy over the files, as I know that the exact setup I am copying worked perfectly.

If I leave it to sync, it will sync the files I currently have, which may not work.

I just want a complete copy of my setup as a backup that I know worked perfectly.

For me this is the best solution.

1 hour ago, zugswang said:

Thanks, but I prefer to just manually copy over the files, as I know that the exact setup I am copying worked perfectly.

If I leave it to sync, it will sync the files I currently have, which may not work.

I'm not sure what the difference would be between manually copying a perfectly working setup of LaunchBox or syncing a perfectly working setup of LaunchBox. Just be selective when you sync. I personally sync to my NAS. The files that are replaced are moved to the recycle bin. If need be I can always get them from there. But to each his own. 

*Edit*

Just to clarify, maybe you are equating syncing with real-time syncing. But you can do a manual sync too.

Edited by Koroth

On 12/27/2020 at 11:58 AM, Koroth said:

I'm not sure what the difference would be between manually copying a perfectly working setup of LaunchBox or syncing a perfectly working setup of LaunchBox. Just be selective when you sync. I personally sync to my NAS. The files that are replaced are moved to the recycle bin. If need be I can always get them from there. But to each his own. 

*Edit*

Just to clarify, maybe you are equating syncing with real-time syncing. But you can do a manual sync too.

Copy and paste files to another drive, or sync as you say then remove some files from recycle bin  if required ?

It's a tough decision, but I will stick to my way of doing it, but thanks for the info.

ps,

Yes I thought you meant real time syncing which would defeat the object, but the other manual way sounds like way too much hassle compared to just copy and pasting some files.

Sometimes the simple option is best.