LaunchBox Community Forums

Is It Possible to Prioritize Metadata by Region?

FoxClubNiner

So I just imported a SNES romset. I use the import metadata wizard to guide me through as usual. I check the box "Cart - Front" and wait for them all to download.

The result is the wizard downloaded a mishmash of PAL and USA cartridges.

Is there a way to have it bulk download JUST USA cartridges? Or do I have to go through all 800 games by hand and find the USA cartridges 1 by 1?

Also for games that have more than 1 option for "Cart-Front" (Let's say the game has 4 images in that categlory) the wizard will only download 1 of them not all 4. So now I have to manually import that media and select the best one. Is this normal wizard behavior?

I dont know if it can help

but you can download all data and then prioritize region you want to use (Option-data-region priorities). I have set italy for examples and LB/BB show me Italy images if it is available.

On 1/16/2021 at 1:56 AM, FoxClubNiner said:

Also for games that have more than 1 option for "Cart-Front" (Let's say the game has 4 images in that categlory) the wizard will only download 1 of them not all 4. So now I have to manually import that media and select the best one. Is this normal wizard behavior?

this is never happened to me.

But I am not an expert, sorry 

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Freestate said:

bug Launchbox don't use region priorities in downloading data with images, it always picks the media from rom region included in romname

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/7350/bug-launchbox-dont-use-region-priorities

It picks alternate regionalized names but not media.

This is actually by design. LaunchBox will always use the game you are trying to import to determine region. If you have a Japanese ROM, it will try and download Japanese artwork. However, if you have a ROM that was released in multiple regions, then it looks at your region priorities to determine which artwork to download. We also have more fallback steps involved in this process to try and maximize the likelihood that a user will get some image over no image, but this is how the process always starts.

14 minutes ago, faeran said:

This is actually by design. LaunchBox will always use the game you are trying to import to determine region. If you have a Japanese ROM, it will try and download Japanese artwork. However, if you have a ROM that was released in multiple regions, then it looks at your region priorities to determine which artwork to download. We also have more fallback steps involved in this process to try and maximize the likelihood that a user will get some image over no image, but this is how the process always starts.

Nope man. Regardless the game was released in multiple regions, launchbox only download images from the rom region if the rom is tagged with (USA) (JAPAN) etc, and blocks the scrapping of other region images, it ignores priorities with images. But with names works as intented. A simple example, if i set FRANCE in top priority my SNES LAWNMOVER MAN (USA) rom doesn't get the FRENCH COVER of database but is sorted as LE COBAYE (ALTERNATE FRANCE NAME WITH REGION TAG).

This is something that needs to be adressed. Some users must want to download all region media or prioritize some region art over others despite the roms they use. I can prefer USA roms because of 60 FPS but prefer european art because it was the one i saw in myy childhood. Right now is imposible to automatize it.