LaunchBox Community Forums

Manually adding Game Media

SiriusVI

Hey everyone,

I want to manually update some types of game media with higher quality images and run into some problems. As an example to explain what I mean I'll use Gameboy cartridge images.

Here's what I want to do:
What I want to do is using a set of high res Gameboy cartridge images published here on LaunchBox. I want my games to prioritize these images. For every game that is not included in the high res set, I still want to be able to use the images that LaunchBox automatically downloads. Also, I want to be able to every once in a while update the metadata and media for my gameboy games (in order get newly published videos and so on) without the high quality cartridges being replaced / without the lower uality images being redownloaded.

Here is what problems I ran into:
I downloaded the high res cartridge set. I placed the file "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Fall of the Foot Clan (USA).png" into the appropriate folder. Launchbox automatically linked the new high res image to the game. However, the lower res cartridge image was still the (for a lack of better words) "default cartridge image, so I deleted it. Then I tried updating the metadata and media for "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Fall of the Foot Clan (USA)"  in LaunchBox, using the "don't replace any existing fields or media"-option. However, what happened was that the lower res cartridge image was redownloaded and set as the "default" cartridge image again.

Here are my questions:
How would I go about achieving my goal? I first thought about deleting all images, then placing all the high res images inside the folder and then updating the metadata of all games, so I'd get the missing media files. But my examples showed that lower res images will be redownloaded from the LaunchBox database. I also thought about using the "missing game media" selection within Launchbox, but it displays games from all platforms, which is pointless if I want to go thorugh every platform separately, meanig I cannot display "gameboy games with missing media". The only solution I can think of now is to delete replace the lower res images with the higer res set one by one and then remembering to never update gameboy media. This is very inconvenient however.

So what is the easiest way to do what I'd like to do?

Thank you!

Media Handling is a difficult and messy work in Launchbox. especially if you download from other places than the gamesDB the files and place it into the right folder. naming convention has to be exactly like the game name in the GamesDB else not all files will be found and shown in Launchbox. 

you can display games with missing media. in the upper left corner you can choose the missing media view and then goes to cards and filter it by platforms. then you can choose the wanted few missing ones.

1 hour ago, Chris Kant said:

you can display games with missing media. in the upper left corner you can choose the missing media view and then goes to cards and filter it by platforms. then you can choose the wanted few missing ones.

I can't find the option to filter the missing game media view by platforms. If I click on "missing carts", games from all platforms will be displayed.

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

In the search box type the platform name. It should them filter to only game for that platform. 

Interesting, it seems to kind of work, but it's not ideal. If I search for "Nintendo Game Boy", the list will also include Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance Games.